Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard that H&R springs have a lot of problem, the guy from a shop told me that they stoped getting them 5 years ago because when they installed the H&R springs onto a CLK, the car raised instead of lowered. Does anybody ever had this problem before?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got H&R springs with my brabus V 18' with perilli 225/40... I don't know why but I can't even tell there was a drop... Maybe at most 1 inch... I'm getting bilstein shocks and 9mm front and 5mm back spring pads installed either this or next weekend... I'll update you if you want... Send me email...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bjorn...I have a 1999 slk 230 "sport" that i change the spring without the spring compressor myself.

<br> I had to change the spring on the slk myself 3 times before i'm completely satify with the ride hieght. First, mercedes car come with spring pad thickness range from 1-4. According to mercedes, different car had different spring pad depending on the 'option' the car came with. Now, to achieve the ride hieght that you want, you need to find out what size of spring pads does your car came with from the factory. That way so you can buy the lower (thinner pad) to install it with your new spring to achieve the ride hieght that you want it. My car came with spring pads #4 in the front and # 2 in the rear before i install the H&R spring. The gap between the front fender is is about three finger and the rear is about four finger.After i took out the factory springs and compare it with H&R spring. I did not see the H&R spring lower that much to the stock spring in the front, but the rear H&R spring is alot lower ( 1 in.) then the stock spring in the rear.. Now the car had H&R spring installed with #1 pads in the front and # 3 pads in the rear. As you can see, i went down three sizes in the front but went up 1 size in the rear. That is why it took me 3 times to achieve the ride hieght that i want because i try one size down at a time. Now, the front fender gap is about one and a half finger and the rear is about two finger. Everyone had this problem with mercedes car when they lower the car because you really don't know what spring pads to use. Most people in the slk forum had to install the spring a least 2 times before they are satify. The average cost to install the spring is about $250 and you have to do it more then one time to achieve the ride hieght that you want. It can add up to big $$$$$. I were able to save alot of money by install the spring myself ( i install the spring myself because i know how and enjoy doing it, not because to save money). But still cost me a total of $600 ($250 spring, alignment $350). My alignment, they had to do it the old fashion way by bending the part. There's no camber kit made yet.Good luck..e-mail me with any question: [email protected]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had H&R's on my old 430 and also on my current 55. Drop was within H&R specifications on both cars

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: HP..Did you ever get an alignment for your car? or it does not need one.

Yes, it was done at MB Switzerland and included the necessary (after lowering) Xenon headlight adjustment. All for about US$250.00

1 - 7 of 7 Posts