Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
04 SL500 / 06 ML 500
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm interested in 411 on MB front camber bolts. If & how suspension/ spring &/or, and must be partially disassembled to re&re with new camber bolts. If there just control arms, I can deal with it Pics would be a huge favor. Thanks for posts in advance

·
Registered
2002 CLK430
1,681 Posts
Once you see it done you'll know that changing the bolt is simple. The car will still have to be aligned. MB camber settings are based on ride height. The problem at some shops is they set the alignment based on stationary ride height. The suspension settles at speed and that height, the height at speed, is what the alignment settings are supposed to be based on. That and no one I've spoken to outside of the dealer seems to know the correct alignment settings (front and rear). I even had one independant try to explain why he aligns cars to 0 degrees camber. :eek:

The attached photo has an MB camber bolt and the drawing shows you where it goes. Mine was aligned at a dealer. I double checked their work with an ifrared pyrometer. It is exactly what I wanted.

·
Banned
04 SL500 / 06 ML 500
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Marcus. I'm all over it. I have a MB spring compressor, so just to be safe I'll compress the spring and unload the suspension before I pull the old one and replace camber bolt.

·
Registered
2002 CLK430
1,681 Posts
It is easy. Adjusting the camber "properly" is where I get into trouble. :D My problem is I don't have the mega-dollar four camera digital alignment rack with the monitor that tells me how each change effects each wheel (in real time). A Beissbarth spreader bar might prove handy too. Of course, if I had that much money set aside for tools, I could afford to have a spare C55 with a tow package for the Ducati 1098 AND pay my dealer to align my cars. :D

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts