Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about picking one up from 1967. Could use some help putting a restoration budget together. Anyone familiar with these cars?

·
Registered
1973 W115 200 /8
895 Posts
Restoration budget depends on so many things...
Your qualities as a mechanich, what condition the car is in at first and how much money you are prepared to spend on it..
A general quote could be: From 3 times the buying price, and up to 20 times the buying price in restoration costs..

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
here's a quick synopsis. the car is originally a CA car, been in MA for 1 year.

1967 (W110) 200D sedan. tail-fin model in dark green with 4-speed manual.
The car has no structural rust. Only some minor surface rust along the rear passenger door where there is a scrape. it does need a tune, motor mounts, headliner, exhaust, front grill, window seals, and a new coat of paint. the car is in original condition. it runs fine except a bit rough at idle. i think the idle is high and the bad motor mounts aren't helping. shifting is a breeze and clutch feel is solid.

i'm thinking it'll cost about $3000 to get it to top "daily-driver" condition. the price is $2500.

again, no rust! and very little electronics to fail. simple, clean, and diesel.

thoughts?

(my other option is a 1984 300 Turbo Diesel in black with all the bells and whistles that just turned 100,000 miles, for $5500. need a window regulator and a dent taken out, but otherwise good.)

·
Registered
1983 240D , '52 220S, '50 170DS, '90 350SDL,'83 380SL, '50 Citroen 11BN, 37 Cityroen 11BL, '72 DS21
23 Posts
The 200D with can smashing arse kicking OM 621 is GREAT!. Parts are everywhere, I even have 2 spare engines sitting around from New York, where the cars rusted from being left out but always used!. The biggest problems involve replacing the fuel hoses to avoid air entering the fuel system;changing filters on time; doing longer runs about 45 mph to keep glow plugs super clean; and maintaining good grounds for the starter and glow plug system. Other than that, normal mainytenance on that car will propel you into 2020. But you may need tires by then...

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The 200D with can smashing arse kicking OM 621 is GREAT!. Parts are everywhere, I even have 2 spare engines sitting around from New York, where the cars rusted from being left out but always used!. The biggest problems involve replacing the fuel hoses to avoid air entering the fuel system;changing filters on time; doing longer runs about 45 mph to keep glow plugs super clean; and maintaining good grounds for the starter and glow plug system. Other than that, normal mainytenance on that car will propel you into 2020. But you may need tires by then...
let's stay in touch!

does the fuel system have a manual bleeder like the 240D?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts