Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Outstanding Contributor - Always Remembered, RIP
Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
52,804 Posts
Have a problem with my Tippy Transmission, need to talk to someone if they can help me.

Thanks Steven
I think you would find more help if you gave more detailed information like what model.year, actual problems you are experiencing etc etc:thumbsup:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think you would find more help if you gave more detailed information like what model.year, actual problems you are experiencing etc etc:thumbsup:
OK Eric, I'm sorry I should have detailed the problem, here goes!

My car is a 996 Turbo Tiptronic, which is the exact same box as the sl600, it has the Merc logo stamped on the side of the transmission. My car is roughly about 590bhp and is had the odd engine mod here and there. When I pull away in 2nd (auto) it gets to roughly 2k rpm and gives a little stutter exactly like it wants to shift up a gear but stays in 2nd until it hits maybe 3k then shifts up to 3rd. It is fine throughout the rest of the gears just 2nd into 3rd. Oil has been changed in transmission and diffs, was back in to Porsche to check levels and all was good. There is a separate control unit for the tiptronic box which Porsche plugged the piwis diagnostics comp into and it showed no faults, (here's the funny thing!!!) they reset all the values (memory) and it cleared the problem I was having, but it has popped back 2/3 times over the past couple of Months. I have the Durametric software on my computer and can also clear the memory which Is great and I have done the last couple of times (save a trip to Porsche) but I need to get the problem looked at! Can anyone advise?

Thanks Steven

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
To add, I don't think the issue is a power related problem as I know a few friends that are running higher power levels than myself. Thanks

·
Registered
92 600 SL (LPG), 94 Subaru Impreza,02 Maserati 4200GT,97 Suzuki TL1000Sv, 02 Yamaha Fazer 1000
562 Posts
I'm sure there is an article in the WIS about this problem, not got WIS here though, it is loaded on my home pc. I'll look later if no-one comes back with the answer.

·
Registered
MB SL600, MB 380SE, Suzuki Grand Vitara, 38' Chris-Craft, Volvo V70XC, and my own two feet...
4,131 Posts
I had no idea the 996s used an SL600 tranny. It's amazing how much manufacturers "mix n' match" these days. Pretty interesting.

But ugh, my car was built post chryler-merger! *shudder* Wonder how many not so well-made things I ended up with as a result of that?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had no idea the 996s used an SL600 tranny. It's amazing how much manufacturers "mix n' match" these days. Pretty interesting.

But ugh, my car was built post chryler-merger! *shudder* Wonder how many not so well-made things I ended up with as a result of that?
They used it in the 996 Turbo, don't know about other 996's.

·
Registered
2000 Obsidian Black Metallic Mercedes SL 320 V6
4,527 Posts

Hi chriswufgator in mid 90s even Jaguar used the Mercedes auto tranny for their XJR supercharged model that had around 340-350 BHPs (I can't remember if it was the X300 or the X308 Jaguar Model code) but used a regular ZF auto-box for other engines because apparently at that time the Mercedes box was the only one happy to handle such amount of torque.

Cheers.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts