Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2004 clk55 amg
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine has gotten some paint on his car...the paint is from when d.o.t. crews paint the lines on the highway...apparently, he's run over some wet paint and it's sorta sprayed on his car. will a clay bar remove this? Any advice would be good. Thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would try clay bar first make sure you use a lot of Quick deatailer so it wont add extra scracthes to the paint. They do have a mild clay from meguiars as well that you can get that at a standard auto parts or online. Try that first and see.

·
Registered
2004 Mercedes-Benz S55 ///AMG, 2006 Mercedes-Benz E350
685 Posts
If clay doesn't do it, try a mild polish, apply several times, may need to go to a medium then high grit polish should the first steps do not work.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
2005 230 Kompressor
341 Posts
A clay bar might work, but I would guess you will need to use a polish with light cutting ability like a Megs 205, HD Uno, etc, to fully remove. Some waxes, especially paste waxes, contain a high solvent content and could also loose or remove some of the residue as another option. But a polishing compound will probably be your best bet if claying does not work.

·
Registered
65 Posts
That paint can be rather thick and tough to remove. Try paint thinner or mineral spirits and a soft cloth -- work it gently at first to try to soften it, as there may be grit in it that can scratch the surface. The sooner he tries this the better.

Clay is a good option also, as well as a scratch remover or polish, but I would try the one of those solvents first.

·
Registered
2004 clk55 amg
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for all of the advice...i'll try claying first to see how much it can remove...if that doesn't work, i'll use a thinner...if that doesn't work, i'll polish!!! once again, thanks for all the input!

·
Registered
2000 CLK430 2010 S550 4matic
532 Posts
Heres a couple of links regarding removal. The paint contains minute glass beads that can seriously scratch the paint if you try mechanical removal. There is a solution that you can apply to the affected area that removes it without paint damage. Using paint thinner will soften the paint. I my experience Mineral spirits doesn't really work as the road paint is water based. Another thing to use is Stoner's Tarminator or any other spray tar remover. I've used the WD40 before and its messy - don't apply it without putting down a tarp on your driveway or garage it will leave a stain that is hard to remove. You still have to remove it mechanically as it does bond with the surface. The clay bar in conjunction with the WD40 will work. If you are looking for a spray on hose off solution it doesn't exist. On the CLK it isn't that bad to remove on cars that use a fabric wheel well protector its a major pain because it really sticks to the fabric.

http://www.rcmcweb.org/files/REMOVING PAINT FROM CARS.pdf

Get Off Clean Highway Paint Remover (HPR) Product is in Full Production

·
Registered
341 Posts
Road Paint

Is a pigmented resin system, very high in solids with a colour aggregate and is more like an adhesive than paint; it contains silica (glass) micro beads that help reflect light, however they can cause scratches if you use mechanical removal.

Remove with 3M Adhesive Remover and detailer’s clay, 3M Eraser Wheel Detailer’s Clay or wet-sanding with 2000 - 2500 grit finishing paper and a Unigrit block.

Road Paint Remover (wipes) – TOTL; Lay the smooth side of the wipe over the contamination to saturate the surface. Let it sit for about one minute to soften the paint. Use the textured side of a new wipe and rub vigorously. Use firm pressure and a lot of action. Particularly difficult cases may take a second application.

Once you have removed the road paint, wash off the chemical with shampoo and a spot polish should bring back the original shine. (Do not use on paint jobs less than 90 days old) The same technique can be used for old tar removal.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts