Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1979 240 D, 1993 500 SEL
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The chrome is peeling off my factory wheels,and I would like to get them recoated, preferable with a magnesium look rather than the shiny chrome again.How does this usually work? Do you have to take the wheels off the care and send them in,leaving the car on blocks? -that sounds extreme and you lose the use of the car. Or can you order new ones, put them on, and get some credit for the old ones as a "core" return?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I have only one wheel which is really bad, so hve thought of doing them one at a time.

·
Registered
2009 SL65, 1998 CL600 (sold), 1989 560SEL (sold)
403 Posts
I just purchased a set of S55 AMG wheels on craigslist. I'm taking them to Wheel Techniques in Santa Clara CA. I've been told they now have a powder coat that is bright similar to chrome. I've heard that chrome on alloys will have an electric reaction and eventually peel. Usually at the lip, causing the tire to leak.

There is a place on Ebay that says they will send you chromed wheels on an exchanged basis. You send them your old wheels after receiving their set. You have to pay a deposit first. I have a bunch of concerns. First, chrome doesn't belong on alloys. Second, you don't know if the wheels they are sending you are bent or not. And finally, if they find something wrong with your wheels they won't refund all of your deposit. You won't find this out until its too late (you've already installed their wheels). I'd rather deal with a place like Wheel Techniques that works on your wheels. They'll check to see if the wheels are true, if not they'll fix them. Perhaps you need to get a spare set of rims from craigslist so that you don't have to leave you car on jackstands.

·
Registered
1979 240 D, 1993 500 SEL
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree, I don't want to give up wheels that I know are good structurally.You must be right about the chrome. It peels off like paper, around the rims and also in the curved openings in front of the brake areas.I may just have to get a second set of rims and send these ones out.I will have to check my spare tire. If it is full size I could just send out one wheel at a time.

Thanks for the suggestions.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I went to Wheel Techniques in Santa Clara today. I opted to get my rims 'chromed' in what they call PK Chrome. Its sprayed on like a powder coat. I looked at the examples in the showroom and I can't tell the difference from real chrome. It also comes in colors. The had an example of 'black chrome' that I considered as well. They said the finish will not flake off like chrome. The place was super busy so I didn't get a chance to talk to them much. Its going to take them 5-10 days to refinish my wheels.

·
Premium Member
1996 S320 (Kuro) 1998 S600 (Weiss)
2,885 Posts
I went to Wheel Techniques in Santa Clara today. I opted to get my rims 'chromed' in what they call PK Chrome. Its sprayed on like a powder coat. I looked at the examples in the showroom and I can't tell the difference from real chrome. It also comes in colors. The had an example of 'black chrome' that I considered as well. They said the finish will not flake off like chrome. The place was super busy so I didn't get a chance to talk to them much. Its going to take them 5-10 days to refinish my wheels.

Did you take some 'before' pics? If so - when you get your wheels back post them with some 'after' shots :thumbsup: Be keen to see the result.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Did you take some 'before' pics? If so - when you get your wheels back post them with some 'after' shots :thumbsup: Be keen to see the result.
I didn't take any pictures, but the rims where standard 18" AMG S55 rims in sterling silver paint. The fronts had some curb rash, the rears were almost perfect. I'll certainly post some pictures when I get them back and mounted.

I just looked at the work order. The process is called "PVD Chrome". I googled the term and got many hits.

http://www.americanpvd.com/appearance.htm

·
Registered
1997 S500 Sedan
28 Posts
I just had my AMG wheels straightened and refinished, done at my local MB dealer. I have a set of factory wheels I use in the winter, so these AMG wheels should stay looking good for some time.

Anyone know what kind of cleaner/polish I should use on the copper colored metal on the doors?

I didn't take "before" pics, but here are some photos of the finished wheels. I put them on myself at 7AM yesterday, couldn't wait to see it done!

.Mac Web Gallery

·
Registered
403 Posts
PVD Chrome

I just got my wheels back from the shop yesterday. Overall I'm pleased. They look 90% as good as chrome and I'm told that the finish won't flake and peel like chrome will on alloy wheels. I'll have pictures of the wheels on my car tomorow.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts