Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought the mc3010 from e-bay, but the local dealer wants $150 bucks for the mounting bracket. The dealer also claims that it must be 'activated by them' for a cost of $180. They made me paranoid about the fiber optics as well (they claim they have to be specially mounted to prevent breakage)... So I have a few questions...<br> <br> 1) Any idea where to get a cheaper mounting bracket or alternative mount tips, <br> <br> 2)is there any truth to this 'activation' claim; and <br> <br> 3) Any idea of where this should be mounted and any special things needed to protect the optics cables? <br> <br> The install seems simple. There are two orange fiber optics lines labeled HU-IN and HU-OUT, and a 3 pin power cable already on the passenger side access panel in the trunk. I thought I could just plug everything in and it would work.<br> <br> Any thoughts on this install would be greatly appreciated.<br> <br> Cheers, <br> <br> Lewis

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I don't know what a mc3010 is , but if it is the Alpine unit, this may be useful to you:<br> http://www.autoclass.net/catalog/mercedes/accessories/w170/electronics.html<br> <br> If the SLK is like the C, you can should be able to use the changer for quite a while before enough error codes accumulate for the changer to stop working. Probably, before that time, you'll take your car in for service. Ask them to program it then. Most dealers seem to do it for free or minimal charge when the car is in for other service.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info, but the auto class bracket won't fit the smaller mc3010 changer. I finally bought the bracket from the dealer (my wife swindled an employee discount which brought it down from $150 to $80 bucks...what a mark-up!), we also located the local shop in Phoenix who the dealer contracts their installs to and they said they would install it for $40 including the 'programming'. BTW apparently the mc3010 is a smaller version of the fiber optic 6-disk cd changer which is stock in SLKs. With the price of the unit on e-bay, I'm looking at less than $500 bucks for the cd-changer installed and programmed (the dealer wanted $1500 total). I'm using the extra cash to buy a keg and wine chiller! Thanks.<br> <br> Lewis

1 - 4 of 4 Posts