Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1986 300SE
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My care has a dash with no cracks or problems. The previous owner took very good care of it.

Is there anything I need to do to continue keeping it in such good condition?

I know how some of the older models really start to crack as they age.

Thanks

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
My 300 SE’s dash is crack-free. I use Meguires leather cleaner and conditioner for the seats on the dash. I also keep a sunshade in place even if she sits for a while, like over the weekend.

·
Registered
1990 300SE
1,466 Posts
My car has always been an outdoor SoCal car. Rarely EVER parked under a roof. Dash has always been treated with 303 aerospace protectant, not a single crack anywhere.

·
Registered
380SEC EURO
1,430 Posts
jdc1244a said:
My 300 SE’s dash is crack-free. I use Meguires leather cleaner and conditioner for the seats on the dash. I also keep a sunshade in place even if she sits for a while, like over the weekend.
I use the same thing on my dash. That, and I never leave the car in direct, hot sunlight.

·
Registered
230 Posts
No Armorall Or "slick" Chemicals

The very best thing is to NOT ever use Armorall (which is animalfat based) or most/any other slick looking liquids -

·
Registered
89 300SE
357 Posts
Ditto with 303 Aerospace protectant + Meguiars leather cleaner/protectant. I've also had good results with Lexol products.

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
get yourself a proper windshield shade.. Keeps the interior/dash of my cars infinitely cooler (and hopefully crack free!)

Jonathan

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
It hurts you don’t read my posts, Jonathan; it’s OK, but it hurts none the less…

In Florida we call them ‘sunshades’ and yes a proper shade will have a reflector type material on the outside with insulation in the middle – not a folded bit of cardboard.

It’s mandatory here whether you care about the condition of the dash or not.

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
Inspired by your thread I cleaned both cars today including cleaning and treating the SE's dash.

·
Registered
81' 300SD, 82' 300D
4,021 Posts
Carolina28 said:
Where can I get 303 Aerospace?
I can't find it at any of the "McParts" chains like O'Reily's or AutoZone, but I have yet to try Advance Auto. I've been able to find it at BapGeon, which is a foreign auto parts store, they have locations scattered nationwide, though I don't know if they have them in your city. That's some good stuff too, I use it on my 123's dash, MB-Tex, bumper trim, and the hoses and plastic components under the hood (as recommended DanWatt's engine detailing webpage).

·
Registered
300 SEL (1989)
369 Posts
Avoid applying Armorall & prevent direct sunlight as far as possible for a crackfree dash

·
Registered
1984 500 SEL euro, 1989 560 SEL, 1980 450 SL, 1981 DeLorean, 2013 F10 BMW
1,253 Posts
I have a new dash pad for the 500SEL waiting to go in after the paint job which is underway as we speak. Prior to the crack in the dash pad, due to extreme cold snap that dropped the temp to 7* F a few years ago. I have also used a product called UV2 that made a world of difference.

Avoid Armor All/ Son of a Gun. Find 303 if you can and protect the interior with a shade device as well.

Regards,

·
Registered
89 300SE
357 Posts
You will find it at a boat place.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts