Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
350 SLK
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do any of you who have received your car wish now that you had purchased another car? My car is due next week and I seem to be getting buyer's remorse. It all started today when I saw 2 350 SLKs at a local shopping center. Both were black with black interior and the tops were up. I walked around them...I looked inside...I walked around again...and they looked...I don't know what word I am looking for but I was somewhat disappointed.

As mentioned previously in another post, when I saw the car in the showroom it took my breath away. But seeing it out in the open it just looked small...like a toy...like a pretend SL.

Help, guys as I am having second thoughts!!

·
Registered
2005 SLK350 2011 GLK3504X 2006 ML350(selling when GLK arrives)
1,940 Posts
Not a second thought...wouldn't trade mine...love it every time I look at it...[:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]

·
Registered
350 slk
18 Posts
Not here. Picked up my car last Thursday and have put 250 miles on it already on short trips around town. I cant seem to stop wanting to take it for a spin. Personally, my experience has been that the car greatly exceeded my wildest expectations. The hardest part is holding the car back, it really wants to be driven.

I can understand the buyers remorse at this point, the cars are in such scarcity that you only have a short time to make up your mind and place an order only to wait 3-4 months for delivery. I too wondered if I had made the right decision but these thoughts evaporated as soon as I steped outside and realized this was really my car.

Hope this helps you a little.

Larryd

·
Registered
2005 SLK350 2011 GLK3504X 2006 ML350(selling when GLK arrives)
1,940 Posts
malibuite:

Keep in mind that black, especially with black interior would be the darkness that would make it look smallest...

[;)]

·
Registered
SL550
949 Posts
The SLK350 is an order of magnitude better than our previous SLK230. But, I wish I could have talked my wife into the SL500.

·
Registered
'05 SLK350
73 Posts
You asked if we WISH we had bought another car. No.

However, not a day goes by when I don't WONDER if I should have bought a 987 instead.

I am happy with my SLK, but am continuously torn over just what I want out of my summer daily driver. The SLK was one direction and the Boxster was another. In the end I got the SLK because of the hard top and the airscarf. And the fact that I alreay have one Porsche in my garage and didn't see having two.

I have never seen a car I like without reservation and the SLK is no different. But I do like it a lot.

Oh, and mine is black.

·
Registered
SLK 350
2,327 Posts
I also had some second thoughts when I saw the demo car at my dealer. With the top up, it did look a bit small. After I received my car and drove it a few hundred miles, the doubts disapeared. Once you get yours, I think you'll develope a fondness for it like those of us that already have our cars. Take heart friend, your day is coming soon.

·
Registered
SLK 350
87 Posts
Whatever doubts or buyers remorse you are having now, I bet will disappear once you take delivery. The '05 SLK is one serious fun car. I love mine more and more each and every day. It's just human nature to question our decisions, especially large ones like new cars or homes. Most of the time things work out the way you intended.

·
Registered
06 M5, 07 RS4, 07 ML63
654 Posts
My only regret is that I did not get a Ferrari F430 instead..... but that's ok because I can neither afford one nor can I get one any sooner than 2 years since the wait list so long.

I love my SLK. Only other car of its type I'd take over it at this point is an F430.

·
Registered
SLK 200, Golf V GTI
269 Posts
Stick with it-the wait will be worth it!

I know after being separated from my car for a few days or whatever, and see cars that were potential purchases, I often consider whether I should have bought them. Everytime I slide into the SLK and pop the roof down however, I know I made the right decision [:)]

·
Registered
350 SLK
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all your comments. Maybe it was just the black on black because when I see the silver it looks different, almost like a different car.

GDEWITT: Yes, it is the 987 I was thinking I should have purchased. The new Boxter S is receiving such great reviews and I have always been partial to the Porsche yellow (Speed Yellow). Have been thinking all day that I should have purchased a yellow Boxter S.

But I am determined to wait until the car arrives and see it and see how I feel then. The salesman told me that if I decided I did not want it when it arrived that he would have no trouble selling it but then I wonder how many months I would have to wait for the Boxter[:(][:0]

·
Registered
SLK 350 , S 500 L, C 200
109 Posts
I also considered the boxster - but just wait until you put the vario roof up - just no comaprison with canvas and that's the bottom line.
I dont think I would ever take my car to the extreme limits which would differentiate it from a mid mount porsche anyway.

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
3,560 Posts
Black is a color which will hide all the lines of the car. It also causes objects to be smaller in sunlight.

But does it really matter if the car is "small" ? I particularily like small cars, so I would have no objection [:D]

Do I have regrets?

Well, I would love to have an SLR, a Zonda or F430 [;)] But they're neither in my budget, nor would I really "need" them over my 55.

Whenever I see my 55 sitting around in the garage, on a street side or at the supermarket car lot, I can't help but go "aaaaaah".

It's a truly wonderful car, even a 350 or 200 would make me go "aaaaaah" if it was my car.

Nope, I don't regret it. I love it LOADS. It's an incredible drive, and that's the most important part of a car anyway.

When the car "spy pics" first began to surface, I, just as much as some other people, had doubts about it's looks. I slowly (and painfully) warmed up to the looks. When I finally saw it in person at the Geneva car show, I was EXSTATIC! I truly think it is one of THE most beautifuly cars in the WORLD! The AMG front is in fact even better then the SLR front due to the size of the star badge (the SLR's star badge on the nose seems a tad too small... don't get me wrong, the SLR is INCREDIBLE looking!). But really, the proportions, especially on a silver car, just look down right perfect. I don't know if it does it for you, but it sure does for me =)

I took a crap load of pics at the car show (can see them here -> http://www.catgirlsparadise.com/images/salon ) and so I slowly started weighing my options. At first, I was really hankering for a manual 350, but I ended up getting the 55 after driving it for 15 minutes. I was blown away. The interior is just what I want, the ride is exactly how it should be for a front engined car, and the looks kept me swooning.

Granted, the 55 was an expensive purhcase, one of the reasons why it ended up taking a month to decide if I wanted it. But now that I have it, I don't regret it a single bit.

Now all I hope is that the snow goes away so that I can take her out for a spin again. It's killing mee I tell you. Why'd it have to snow again... *sigh*

Anyway. Buy the car that you feel is closest to your heart. If you're having second doubts, I think you just need to put in a few hundred km's. See if you can get a test drive in one and think how it would be to have it in your garage. If you want some other car over the SLK, then who's gonna stop you.

I think, if I had not bought the 55, I'd still be driving my SLK 230K, oblivious to how good the 55 really is. At that point, I wouldn't have regrets, but I'd be definitely be missing out on one of the best cars I've EVER driven, and I've driven quite a few luxury cars you know [;)]

·
Registered
SLK55 //AMG
1,212 Posts
I couldn't have put it better myself. But the car that is closest to your heart. I know that every morning when I see my SLK, the anticipation of the drive immediately brings a smile to my face.
I hope it will for you too.

Cheers!

P.S. It is hell waiting for my SLK to be ready from the dealer...

·
Registered
SLK 350 MT
148 Posts
only when i read lame track oriented reviews by folks who don't have to spend their own money or live with a car in the real world. when i drive 35 miles to work and see 3 911's, 4 boxsters , 3 A4/S4's and a few G35 coupes in the parking lot i remember why i love the 350. solid, comfortable,fast and different. the resale values 3-5 years out will hopefully reassure all of us owners.

·
Registered
'05 SLK350
73 Posts
dsballdo - 2/14/2005 6:59 AM

only when i read lame track oriented reviews by folks who don't have to spend their own money or live with a car in the real world. when i drive 35 miles to work and see 3 911's, 4 boxsters , 3 A4/S4's and a few G35 coupes in the parking lot i remember why i love the 350. solid, comfortable,fast and different. the resale values 3-5 years out will hopefully reassure all of us owners.
Interesting. I might look at things differently if I lived where you do. Get this: I have an employee with a 911 and his and mine are the only two I've seen in 4-5 months. Haven't seen a Boxster in a month or two. I do see the Audis you mention, but not many, maybe one every couple days. There is one SL I see now and then. I actually see more SLKs than any other car you mention, though they are all R170s. My SLK was only the second R171 sold in my area.

·
Registered
SLK350/AMG PKG
184 Posts
I don't think it matters how many of the car you own you see. As long as your's suits you. And with me that means making it different than any other R171 I'll see on the road. I've been working on that will wheels/tires, aerowings, tint and so forth.

The only thing I think will have to been done to this car mechanically will be a supercharger as soon as Brabus, Kleeman or Carlsson come out with it. It's quick, but my previous car was around 12 flat in the quarter, and my brother has a 522 hp Vette that just makes this car seem slow. I know that this is not why most of us buy this car, but I'm a motorhead and I can never have enough power. I guess I could have went for the 55, but at the time, it didn't seem worth the money to buy an old style powerplant. And the price of a Supercharger will still be less than the difference in price and should put out 400+ hp. This car definitely has the braking and handling to take on much more power.

·
Registered
'05 SLK350
73 Posts
NukeSLK, I certainly don't let other people's choice in cars affect my own.

Except that if EVERYONE likes something I will rethink my opinion. After all, if everyone likes something there's probably something wrong with it. That doesn't mean I'll change my opinion, but I'll certainly re-examine it.[:)]

·
Registered
95 Posts
RE: Any Regrets? - You have to be kidding!?

First, concerning performance, the car is the biggest hit MB has had in years. It completely surpasses the R170 in absolutely every way. It is a true sports car with fantastic grand touring legs.

Second, I could give a rat's a-- about the looks - I actually don't really like the hood all that much - I think the R170 has classier lines but beneath the hood - that's where my (and my wife's) heart lies! Notably, the car is larger than the R170.

R

·
Registered
SLK200 Auto (171)
186 Posts
What's to regret, this car is great.

Don't waste time worrying, enjoy the bloody thing. Start to worry when your doctor says your cancer can't be cured, or you wife says she loves the woman next door.....

In the meantime, enoy what your lucky enough to have and leave regrets to others...... you're gonna love this car!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts