Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

Wanted to put feelers out for any old school Mercedes mechanics in the SF Bay area.

I do alot of work myself but am looking for a mechanic for jobs that might be better suited for a knowledgeable Mercedes mechanic that works in a shop.

I knew of a few but they all retired.

The car is a 1987 300E that I am trying to keep on the road. For most this isn't considered old school, but most mechanics today just know how to use a scan tool and replace modules.

Looking for a mechanic in the SF bay area that knows these cars well and will go easy on me labor wise.

I don't mind driving a bit nor leavning the car for a while.

·
Premium Member
6,735 Posts
Precision Mercedes in Santa Cruz has done me right, solved some gnarly problems that I couldn't figure out. Talk to the owner, Frank, he's a wiz with CIS systems and such. W124 is his favorite benz, he owns several. they are a bit of a crazy shop, they normally don't do appointments, just drop off the car and they'll squeeze it in. but I realize thats pretty far from most of the 'bay area'.

I've heard good things about the Swiss Garage in Larkspur in Marin, but I've never taken a car there myself. my brother lives near there, and when I've driven by there's often several very nice vintage mercedes on their premises being worked on. I have heard they are kinda expensive.

·
Outstanding Contributor
3,987 Posts
Hello

Wanted to put feelers out for any old school Mercedes mechanics in the SF Bay area.

I do alot of work myself but am looking for a mechanic for jobs that might be better suited for a knowledgeable Mercedes mechanic that works in a shop.

I knew of a few but they all retired.

The car is a 1987 300E that I am trying to keep on the road. For most this isn't considered old school, but most mechanics today just know how to use a scan tool and replace modules.

Looking for a mechanic in the SF bay area that knows these cars well and will go easy on me labor wise.

I don't mind driving a bit nor leavning the car for a while.
I'm near San Mateo and happy to help if you ever need it. I'd also be interested in finding a mechanic I could trust, just in case.

·
W201 Moderator
2,225 Posts
A good, dependable and reasonably priced 124/201 mechanic is a rare breed around here. I would recommend PAC in San Jose, but they are no longer "cheap".
There are a few things (dropping the transmission/changing out the differential/timing chain replacement/etc) I would rather have someone other than myself fix in my car and for those I go to PAC. Joe is a great mechanic. But anything else that is simple wrenching and does not require special tools or a lift, the best and most reasonably priced (as in free) mechanic is myself, with some help from this forum.

- Cheers!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts