Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
SLK350 AMG Sport
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have run-flats on my 350 (with AMG sport and 7G) and although I have not had a chance to drive it in temperatures about 32F it seems to me that the traction is low. There is not way that I could give it all the power (torque) that it has off the line. It also seems to eager to slip in a corner. Any other experiences?

·
Registered
SLK 350
2,327 Posts
The poor traction is pobably due to the low temperature. The owners manual says not to drive with the standard tires in temperatures below 45 F.

·
Registered
SLK55 //AMG
1,212 Posts
Are you still driving with the tires that came with the AMG sport package?
If so it is not surprising that you are slipping a lot.
They are performance tires and need to be "warm" in order to operate properly - hence summer tires.
In order to get superior grip in the winter, you can do what I did and get a set of winter wheels -preferably non staggered with winter tires. Mine are Blizzak LM22s and I was able to drive confidently in the snow that was dumped on us in the northeast lately.
Cheers!

·
Registered
R171 SLK200 2005
475 Posts
Love that last photo!!! [:D]

You just need a snow plow on the front of it!!! [8D]

·
Registered
2005 SLK 55 AMG
372 Posts
Run flats are dangerous without tire pressure sensors and a pressure monitor. You can have a flat but the tire doesn't look flat and you may drive too fast and the tire might destroy itself at speed.

·
Registered
SLK350 AMG Sport
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone fro the info.
Yes the run-flats come with the monitor. I got my car 2/19 and was tryiing to hold out without putting snows on it this year.

I drive the SUV if things get bad.

·
Registered
slk 350
116 Posts
Snowball:

I also have the run flats (not my choice but they came with the car) and I’ve had exactly the same experience as you. There is a noticeable lack of traction the few times our weather has permitted me to take it out. The car skids when turning onto a major road at even moderate throttle. It also seems that the run-flats make the car noisier above ~50 mph than I remember from my LE test drives.

My previous Jag XKR had Z rated tires and had much better traction in the cold. Granted it was considerably heavier but it also had 390 ft-lb of torque. It never skidded like my SLK350, even during turns at full throttle.

I could probably live w/ the noise once the top is down, but the lack of traction is enough to make driving the car a worry rather than a grin. My MB dealer has agreed to let me do an A-B comparison w/ a demo car when (if?) the weather warms up a bit.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just switched out the run-flats in my MINI for standard tires - Z rated Eagle F1 GS-D3. Very quiet, smooth, and grippy. If anyone is looking at max performance replacements for the run-flats I recommend the Goodyear F1, Bridgestone S-03, Michelin PS2, or BFG KDW2.

·
Registered
350 SLK
1,528 Posts
I had stated in an early thread several months ago that I had not chosen the Run-Flats because of the noise but several posts said they were not any noisier than normal tires. Although I am not glad to hear they are noisy, I am glad I did not choose them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts