Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
7,361 Posts
At less than $130, it is almost guaranteed to be a Asian sourced part OR "Made in Unknown" like some Febi parts.

Ball joints are not a part to go bottom dollar on.
The aftermarket TRW are crap just like Febi.

This is one case where OE Mercedes is the only way.

And they do last 20+ years, so I consider them a good buy.

Lionel has a good price on them.

·
Registered
865 Posts
And they do last 20+ years, so I consider them a good buy.
I'm facing the same problem and have come to that conclusion too. Can't really complain after 24 years and 1/4 million miles.

I'm just hoping that MB still manages to supply the same quality as the originals. I wonder.

Just got to scrape up the €1000 now!

Best to all.

RayH

·
Registered
5,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I'm gonna roll the dice with TRW and FCP's lifetime warranty. If it was my DD I would get the MB ones without hesitation, but this is my sunday driver, MB arms would cost about half what I paid for the car.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Is it not possible to rebush your own ,i would if i was going to do this job .Pick up the bushes and fit them with a bushing tool . I know some are not like mine ,and the ball joints are welded in and not replacable , so then its time to replace the part in question Good luck.

·
Registered
5,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Is it not possible to rebush your own ,i would if i was going to do this job .Pick up the bushes and fit them with a bushing tool . I know some are not like mine ,and the ball joints are welded in and not replacable , so then its time to replace the part in question Good luck.
Yes it is but in my case I think its a question of balljoints.

·
Premium Member
986 Posts
Yes it is but in my case I think its a question of balljoints.
The reason I am so focused on bushings is that a difference in 10 years/100K life for an aftermarket ball joint versus 20 years/200K for an OEM joint is not likely to be an important factor given the age, mileage, and value of these cars. You are extremely unlikely to see a return on the investment in OEM arms just for the ball joint. The bushings on the other hand, have an immediate and permanent effect of the ride and handling of the car, not to mention the alignment and associated tire wear. You will pay for incorrect or inferior bushings from day one.

- FD

·
Registered
5,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
To close this thread out, I got the car in the air and the control arms ended up being fine. The tied rods and drag links were all shot (tie rods were TRW with mb stamp!).

Ironically, FCP Groton the previous home of nothing but URO got me all lemfored, mb, sachs and bilstein parts for the cheapest.

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
Lionel was the parts guy at MB of Gainesville FLA Mercedes parts counter. He would offer shop prices and free ship. He no longer works there. This was before dealers realized they could use a third party platform to sell parts. Lots of dealers now use revolution parts to sell online.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts