Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to play tunes from my MP3 player through my c230K stereo. I bought one of those adaptors you insert into the cassette slot, but am having a problem. The music plays fine for about 10 seconds, then the it stops and the stereo emits a two or three very loud beeps. The music then starts again, then the beeps come back again...and over and over.

It could be the brand of adaptor (Creative Labs), but my bigger fear is that the stereo is not compatible with this type of device.

Has anyone had any experience with these devices in the c230?

·
Registered
02 c240
31 Posts
it is because you have to leave the screen down, and that is why it beeps, it wants you ...

it is because you have to leave the screen down, and that is why it beeps, it wants you to close the cassete thingy. I tried to do it and the only thing that worked best was i put a piece of duct tape on the little button on the top right side of the cassete player. I should be lil black button and if you keep that button down then your problem is solved.

·
'00 ML320 Elegance
8,965 Posts
One other alternative...

Some of the Sony tape adaptors have really thin wires and you should be able to squeeze the wire through and yet close the cover.

·
Registered
02 c240
31 Posts
i tried that and it still didnt work! and i have the sony one too..ah well. i just went ...

i tried that and it still didnt work! and i have the sony one too..ah well. i just went back to burning cds. [:D]

·
'00 ML320 Elegance
8,965 Posts
Worse situation...

i tried that and it still didnt work! and i have the sony one too..ah well. i just went back to burning cds. [:D]
Do what was suggested regarding a small piece of tape pressing in the little button at the corner of the tape opening. That will allow the headunit to think that the door is close, and it won't keep beeping at you [:)].

The other alternative is to get an FM modulator.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll try the button approach. I also heard about someone...

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll try the button approach. I also heard about someone filing down the door of the cassette player to create a channel for the wire. DOn't think I'll try that.

·
'00 ML320 Elegance
8,965 Posts
I know, LOL...

LOL! thats what i said drew...
I was referring to you as the person who mentioned it! [:D]

But seriously, I know that at least two people have managed to successful use Sony tape adaptors and still have the door close.

·
'00 ML320 Elegance
8,965 Posts
There is one other even more radical solution...

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll try the button approach. I also heard about someone filing down the door of the cassette player to create a channel for the wire. DOn't think I'll try that.
Someone actually removed the headunit and traced the circuit for the tape drive. He then tapped directly into it and wired a male stereo plug so that he could plug his iPod directly into the headunit.

The disadvantage to that, aside from the work and voiding the headunit's warranty, was that the tape drive would no longer work.

·
Registered
2006 W220 S430 and 2010 W204 C300 Sport
227 Posts
Re: There is one other even more radical solution...

[[/quote]

Someone actually removed the headunit and traced the circuit for the tape drive. He then tapped directly into it and wired a male stereo plug so that he could plug his iPod directly into the headunit.

The disadvantage to that, aside from the work and voiding the headunit's warranty, was that the tape drive would no longer work.
[/quote]

Along this idea, on the mbworld.org, on the W210(E320) forum, a person inserted the cassette adaper, took the wire and ran it inside of the radio and had it exit out of the case. He showed the adapter inserted with the wire inside, but the exit point was not described.

·
Registered
2006 W220 S430 and 2010 W204 C300 Sport
227 Posts
Another thought, when a cassette adapter is used with a CD or MP3 player, does the radio g...

Another thought, when a cassette adapter is used with a CD or MP3 player, does the radio get the full bandwidth of sound? 20Hz to 20khz? Realizing that a cassette tape rolls off way before 20Khz, something like 16Khz.

If you use a FM modulator, the overall bandwidth is limited to the radio signal.

The cassete adapter seems the way to go, especially if the bandwidth is larger.

Can provide more data?

·
'00 ML320 Elegance
8,965 Posts
Rob...

Another thought, when a cassette adapter is used with a CD or MP3 player, does the radio get the full bandwidth of sound? 20Hz to 20khz? Realizing that a cassette tape rolls off way before 20Khz, something like 16Khz.

If you use a FM modulator, the overall bandwidth is limited to the radio signal.
Both FM and casette tapes are typically 22Khz. However the advantage of the latter is that they are much less prone to interference. Placment of the FM modulator is critical (closer to the radio antenna, the better).

The FM modulator may be more convenient in some vehicles. Having heard both in the same vehicle, there is a bit of loss in fidelity with the FM modulator. I too ended going with a casette adaptor.

·
'00 ML320 Elegance
8,965 Posts
Very interesting!...

Along this idea, on the mbworld.org, on the W210(E320) forum, a person inserted the cassette adaper, took the wire and ran it inside of the radio and had it exit out of the case. He showed the adapter inserted with the wire inside, but the exit point was not described.
An ML owner did the same for his MCS headunit, routing the wiring into and under the headunit, and exiting somewhere out from the centre console.

The only downside is that the C-class's headunit is not exactly easy to remove. The centre air vents have to be popped out, etc. Then again, once this is done you'll never have to do it again.

·
Registered
W203
55 Posts
Heck. I've tried using the tape adapter in the my ML430, my C280, and my C320. It doesn't work without mods for the ML... but on my C classes... i just pushed it into locked position and if you put the wires in the right place, you shouldnt have a problem most of the time.

Most of the time... brains are better than brawns... but every once in a while... just once in a while... it works =)

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
I borrowed my uncles 99C230k and used my mp3 with cassete adaptor and yes had to play with the wire and squeeze the tape door in tightly to avoid the beeping.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts