Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2016 E400 4Matic Sedan
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My colleague is giving me a 95 Toyota Camry for free. It has a 95% body and about 100K miles, with CD and power everything.

During lunch times, I often shared my experiences of fixing up my big old 560 SEL. This guy said I have a Camry that overheats after 20 minutes of driving because somewhere has a leak. He had asked me to go over to his house and fix the car but I have not got any time yet. Today, he just walked over and said "please take the car. I am buying a house and wife does not want the junk in the yard".

Is it easier to work on a I4 Camry than our big V8? Looks like I need to replace the water pump or may be just a T-Stat.

·
1991 500SEC sub 50K mi. 1987 560SEC Now 150K mi. 2018
4,290 Posts
Hi NewMBie,

Just last month, a friend sold his (purchased new) early '90s Camry - with I don't know how many miles...... on it. Over the years (& well maintained) he'd needed NO major work on it, and it remained a presentable automobile. Everything still worked....

MBL

·
Registered
1988 560SEL sold:
4,717 Posts
I thought you weren't even going to consider a Japanese car.

Whatever the circumstance, I'm glad you are warming to the idea of owning a Camry.
Hate the government, not the car[:)]
My dad coincidentally drove a 95 Camry, and it gave him absolutely no problems before he finally traded in for a 2004 model. Whatever the problem, I think it's probably discreet and easily replaceable.
It's not clear from your post except for your colleague suspecting a leak but does the coolant need topping up more often that it should?

If you end up inheriting the Camry, be sure to beef up on anti-theft measures - along with Honda Accord, Camry is near the top of the list of, if not the No. 1, most stolen car in the US - installing them will reduce the insurance cost.

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
Hi,

I also am a member at ToyotaNation dot com's forum board. There are lots of info on Camries(sp?) there.

So far, what I've heard is it's really easy to DIY since it's a Toyota and parts are readily available. But I also hear that there are "grey areas" during the Camry's history like, for example, a 1996 model would have some gremlins "factory-built" into it.

Maybe more info can be had, like what model it is, etc. A leak after 20 minutes sounds like a big one. We just had our '92 Corolla fixed for coolant leaks. A darn hose had a VERY SMALL hole that just was a faucet once the pressure built up. They'll easily last you thousands of miles, but I often hear of rebuilds after 200,000 depending on the maintenance performed and if it was abused.

Jap cars have a tendency to overheat, I noticed. Once you drive it, you will easily get bored. Well that just speaks of my experience with our '92 Corolla. Nothing fancy, and it's very light. I would think the Camry would be lighter than my turbodiesel, perhaps 400 kilograms lighter. But it's solid too if you're asking. My friend happens to have one they recently bought, manual tranny and cheap daily driver. I took it for a test drive (I missed manual trannies [:D]) and it felt solid.

Sorry for the lengthy post, I thought I'd just share my side. Here's one thing for sure. If you can fix your beastly W126, then surely you can fix a Camry. Parts are much cheaper, much more available, and almost anybody can do it. Goodluck!

·
Registered
2016 E400 4Matic Sedan
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Many thanks to all but I have decided not to

take the Camry.

First of all, I will not have a Janpanese car in my driveway, even it is free.

Secondly, we have about >$60 K in cash and we could get most of any car we want.

Thirdly, my backyard needs a lot of attention and I will nothave time to work on two fronts.

·
Registered
1984 280SEL AMG
701 Posts
If your car has sprung a leak, fix the leak first, it's the cheapest reapir. If that doesn't fix the problem. Move onto the water pump, that to is an easy fix, a few nuts, and some gasket sealer should have that fixed right up... Lastly, check the oil, if it's milkie white. Let it go, for it needs a head gasket... Just normal progression of repair levels... From cheapest to Let it go...

·
Registered
1989 560SEL
2,103 Posts
funny thing about the camry:

my dad's '01 camry got bumped in the parking lot and it lost its little chrome toyota logo from the front grille. i searched all over the internet but couldn't find a replacement part. so i went to the dealer, and was amused to learn that they were asking $30 for a tiny piece of chrome-coated plastic.

my 400E's grille star cost me $25 to replace when some idiot snapped it off -- i never thought the benz would be the car with the bargain replacement parts...

·
Registered
1989 560SEL
2,103 Posts
RE: Many thanks to all but I have decided not to

NewMBie - 4/12/2005 11:27 AM

take the Camry.

First of all, I will not have a Janpanese car in my driveway, even it is free.

Secondly, we have about >$60 K in cash and we could get most of any car we want.

Thirdly, my backyard needs a lot of attention and I will nothave time to work on two fronts.
so does that mean we can forget your original post because you've changed your mind about the car?

maybe you can tell your colleague that although you don't want the car, he can probably still sell it for thousands of dollars, even if it's overheating.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I once had a 83 Honda Accord. It was really reliable, the fixes were not that bad. The worst thing about that ride, and eventually I threw it away was that it was rusting badly. My transmission nearly fell onto the ground when I threw it away.

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
Take the Camry for free, title it, turn around and sell it – you’ll come out a few hundred bucks ahead.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts