Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there this is my first post , I have a couple of old benze's a 1990 190e and a 1989 420 SEL

Just done all the suspension on my 126 and am about to put on the new shocks . This car is black on black and a beauty and i want it to ride as new so I am buying OE shocks for the car from mercedes . The one s the car came with when new according to VIN .
Has any one replaced there shocks with the OE ones .

Regards

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes. OE prices are out there! But I have found that the valving is different then mass market shocks Mercedes specified there shocks and had them made by Sachs, Bilsten and Boggy I think . Its hard to find any valving information on aftermarket shocks , but I can find it for mercedes.
So I think I am gonna bite the bullet and make it right .
Gonna cost me 1200$ plus tax for a set in Canadian

·
Premium Member
1991 560 SEC Black/Black
166 Posts
I rebuilt my entire rear SLS system with new everything from my local MB service center and parts Dept. Shocks, springs, And the two black spheres, ( I think I can call them that) I also did the entire front end everything brand new. All original Mercedes Benz Parts. I just don’t trust aftermarket stuff.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I agree . . Shocks are the thing I would be most curious about . I remember years ago when these cars were new how well they eat up the bumbs. My car just seems harsher then I remember they should be . My 190 has very low mileage and the original shocks and it rides better then my 126 . So yes I think I have made up my mind , time to order them up.

·
Premium Member
1989 560 SEC - V-8 Kompressor - 95 E320 Estate
2,001 Posts
Myself and hundreds of others have replaced factory Sach shocks with Bilsteins. In my 20+ years of MB wrenching etc. I have never heard a bad report on the Bilsteins. A local MB indie prefers the B4 (comfort) over the B8 (heavy duty) if the owner of the car wants the factory feel and ride. This is not rocket science. Spend triple what Bilsteins cost if it makes you feel better. Good luck!

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
14,132 Posts
I love MB parts. But yeah I can't imagine the outlay for a set of shocks. I went Bilstein and like it a lot. Still, if I had the money I would also be intrigued.

One thing though, memory might be rosy, I don't know. But in reviews I've read these cars were always said to have a bit of a jiggly ride, a bit firm. It was a pay off for the high speed stability.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts