Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2005 C55, 2007 Trailblazer SS
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a small problem with the alignment on my car. I knew my car needed an alignment before I bought it, but we don't all the extras to do alignments on German cars. I realized after I bought my car that it was involved in some sort of crash (not really sure how bad) in the right front. Because of that and the way it drives, I knew it needed more than just a toe adjustment. I put the car up on our alignment rack just to check it last Saturday. The rear looks decent enough, the left front looks really good (-0.5* camber, 10.1* caster), but the right side (where the crash was) is way out. I have -2* of camber and 9.5* of caster. I'm not sure what the specs are for the caster since out machine wouldn't show it for some reason. I'm going to put the adjustment bolts in myself and then drive the car to the dealer for the alignment. When I went to buy the bolts, my service advisor told me that they may only be able to get the camber back up a degree if they adjust caster and camber on that side. So obviously something else is wrong. I'm starting to think maybe one of the control arms is bent or something. I don't think anything major is tweaked since the left side camber is almost perfect. What do you think?

·
Registered
CLS550 Master Lease, 1990 300zxTT, 2000 camry
361 Posts
Yea the adjustment bolt is only going to give you a degree or two of adjustment. It is very possible that something is bent if it is out that much. Do you have a carfax?

·
Registered
2004 C230 Kompressor Sport Coupe
1,903 Posts
I'm betting you've got a bent control arm. They are designed to bend before the unibody so that in a minor accident like a curb bite you don't end up having to get the shell straightened. Compare some measurements side to side on the suspension and I'm betting you'll find them different.

·
Registered
2005 C55, 2007 Trailblazer SS
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm betting you've got a bent control arm. They are designed to bend before the unibody so that in a minor accident like a curb bite you don't end up having to get the shell straightened. Compare some measurements side to side on the suspension and I'm betting you'll find them different.
Alright, well hopefully nothing is bent but if something is, hopefully it's one of the control arms rather than the car. I had the car up on the lift today, but I didn't actually take any measurements. I'll see about lifting it again tomorrow.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts