Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Merc E500 4Matic
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I knew this day would come - the day I need all of your help.

Both forward and reverse has an intermittent (as in not constant but frequent enough to know there is a problem after moving 5 feet).

Car: 2004 E500 4Matic Sedan
Mileage: 156K
Note: Amazing car - albeit expensive (what isn’t?) but it has never left me stranded and is an absolute tank

Without leading the witness as to what I have tried replacing etc.. I will give you the scenario. First, so I can feel better about the money and inordinate amount of time that just went bye bye (at least in terms of trying to address the issue). Secondly, before dropping more dough and sweat, I want to hear what you think it could be.

Scenario: Drove 3 hours to airport - no issue. Return 3 days later from my business trip to a wet parking garage and pull out of my spot and hear a slight clunk. Something not quite right but I chalked it up to wet concrete bc I had a 3 hour drive ahead of me (nice logic, huh?). Anyways, I successfully make the drive without issue. Next morning, I wake up and go to back the car out and the clunk is notable enough that I wouldn’t drive the car. This exact issue persists today but I don’t know what is causing it. I have a few suspicions but want to hear from you. I’ll provide further input as you need it.

Let’s keep this bad boy on the road for another hundo. At this rate, no road, no miles and a city bus

·
Registered
'99 Range Rover ~ '01 Land Rover ~ '06 Mercedes e350 ~ '76 Mercedes 280C
387 Posts
Pretty vague for me ..... unnoticed parking boot lodged in fender well 🤣

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,009 Posts
I don't know if you did CV joints inspection, but on aged 4M that should be weekly routine.
Make sure you don't have torn booth.
Now to determinate if the noise is coming from CV joint, go on empty parking lot, make sharpest turn left and give it some gas for 2 seconds. If you don't hear terrible noise, repeat going right.
If the car passes the test, look for traffic cones in fender and other stuff.

·
Registered
1999 E430; 2005 ML500
1,522 Posts
Clunking when shifting into gear could be motor mounts. Otherwise, provide more details of when the clunk occurs, and whether the sound is a “clunk” or a “click”

·
Registered
2004 Merc E500 4Matic
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I have replaced the front axles as the passenger side had torn inner and outer. Both sides have new lower ball joints. I checked rear boots and they look fine.

The slightest of a turn I hear clicking under low speed. I notice in parking garage the clicking (almost clunking) is louder/higher frequency when turning right. Degree of turn doesn’t really matter. I had my wife move the car so I could listen and the noise is almost coming from the middle of the car. Flex disc? Checked that and it looks ok.

I know this is a bit like looking for the Sasquatch but I really don’t want to pony up for endless parts - trying to gather as much info as possible to make the most informed decision.

Wheel bearing perhaps? I checked for play in all the wheels and there is none in any of them. Not to say that’s an absolute test.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
2004 Merc E500 4Matic
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I struggle with this. I would say more of a click because you hear it more than feel it. What you can feel is NOT through the steering wheel.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts