Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
any fix, for locking key up before starting

Key locks up randomly right before ignition (starting) about 50% of time. Have to turn it back and try again to start; which it always does.
I have removed the whole assembly and cleaned out all the parts but still doing it. I hear it is a common problem, any fix available. Really, don't want to replace the part, as it might be obvious fix?
Could it also be my key or key tumbler? thanks

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Most likely the tumbler needs to be replaced; they wear out after 30 years and get sticky. Fix it before the key won't turn at all, and you get stranded.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure if it is the tumbler, it turns fine but locks up right before cranking; so not sure, it might be assembly..or maybe the tumbler ?

·
Registered
1984 300D
5,070 Posts
While it is most likely the Lock Tumbler itself it could be the Ignition Switch or the Steering Colum Lock.

I have read that you can drive without the Tumble installed if you use a Screwdriver or other object to stick in and turn the Mecanism inside. If it binds up without the Tumble Installed you have another problem.

I listended to A Locksmith speaking to someone else that People who Hand a big Wad of Keys from their Ignition Switch/Tumble can ruin it fast.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts