Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 SLK 230K, 11000 miles. Unfortunately I have the problem with the diesel sound, 1000-2000 revs. with warm engine. As I understand it´s the variable camshaft timing sensor causing this noise (wrong tolerances). I´ve read some old posts on this topic on these forum, but I have not got a clear picture if MB has got a working cure for the problem. Futhermore, could this problem damage the engine? Thank´s in advance for spreading some light on this.

·
Registered
2000 SLK 230 LE
196 Posts
I've got this exact problem. I even took it to the dealer and asked about it. They said it was working the way it was built to.

If I give the car full throttle it takes off quickly with a nice exhaust note. If I slowely give the car throttle it goes nice and smooth. If I give the car half gas it sounds like a tractor between 2k and 3k RPMs. Once the Supercharger kicks in about 3k RPM it takes off and sounds great again. I'm thinking this is just the 4 cilinder trying to go harder than it was ment too without the supercharger. If there is something that could fix this I'd be thrilled!

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
3,560 Posts
Add a different exhaust or remove the resonator (or whatever it's called, sorry, my brain is a bit mushy at the moment due to weird stuff at work).

My Brabus sounded just fine if the engine was warm. When cold, it had a whiney sound for a few minutes.

The Brabus exhaust helped a lot.

·
Registered
2001 SLK 230
1,226 Posts
where did you buy your brabus system? how much did it cost how much gain in hp did you get?

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
3,560 Posts
My whole car was a Brabus (See my signature). It came right off the Brabus line to the previous owner, who sold it to me some three years back.

Write to Brabus of USA and ask them to send you the price list for the R170 in PDF format. They did this to me a few years back.

I can't find it right now, it might be somewhere on some disk on one of my PC's... if I find it, I'll upload it to my webspace.

*Edit* Here's the European (german) Brabus price list. http://www.mbslk.de/files/artikel/BrabusR170.pdf
Price for for the sports exhausts is about $2200...

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG
441 Posts
My wife's 2005 C-sport does the same thing. It also sounds like a truck in the morning when she starts it for about 5 minutes till it really really warms up. The thing that's bothering me is when I brought it in for the B service and told them that when I follow her on the road in another car, when she steps on the gas she gets a big puff of real smelly black smoke. The dealer said they took the plugs out and did what the could to figure it out and they said everything looks normal. Again, I'm at the mercy of a large company that fixes what they want when they want. Hmmm, I wonder if the Owner of MB's car smokes when he jumps on it? I doubt it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts