Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
SLR
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm really curious who the first owner of my car was. I bought it from a guy who restores Mercedes who I guess bought it at an auction. But before that, who knows.... Is there a system that police or MVA are able to use to figure it out?

·
Registered
1993 Mercedes Benz 190E 2.6
11 Posts
I know here in South Carolina you can file paperwork with the SCDMV and get the title history of a car as long as you are the owner of said car. Not sure if DE is that way or not.

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
I know the last 2 owners of my car, the immediate previous owner is a friend of mine. The owner before him is a member of this board. In fact I met him a few months back at the local Cars & Coffee in Irvine, but I didn't bring my 190E that time.

You can try contacting your local DMV but because of privacy issues I doubt they can give you that information. You never know though, try it out.

·
Registered
1985 190d
41 Posts
you might be able to talk to the highway patrol and see if they would give you any info? i know when i was having trouble with the title to my 190d, and i thought i was going to have to file for a lost title, that was one of the steps i was going to have to go thru. apparently the highway patrol would've given me the address of the "titled" owner and then i would've been able to contact them. not sure if that's how it goes or not.

·
2.3-16 | A3 2.0T | 986 Boxster
5,048 Posts
No, the police should not give out any info on past owners. To obtain info about a lost title the proper way is going through the DMV and having the DMV contact the last known owner. It's against our NCIC user agreement and violates several policies to give out any info such as previous owners name & address.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts