Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I am moving from NJ to Bay Area, I need to find a reliable auto moving company (I am also seriously considering driving it myself in 5-6 days. Any thoughts on this?)

The auto moving companies seem like a hit or miss.

Any suggestions or experiences?

·
BenzWorld R170 SLK Host
2002 SLK32 AMG
2,652 Posts
Sorry, I don't know of any moving companies, but a 5- to 6-day drive across the country would be cool.

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
14,926 Posts
Drve it yourself .............................

You have no idea what a beautiful country we live in if all you do is fly over it at 35,000 feet..[:)] Now if you had finished your plane, that trip at 3,000 to 6,000 feet would be a whole different story.[:D]

·
Registered
SLK32, ML430
6,349 Posts
RE: Drve it yourself .............................

Drive it. Get out and see the country.

If you do ship just be aware that there is a huge difference in price. When I was looking for shippers to transport a car a relatively short distances the quotes ranged from $800 and the car will be delivered anytime within a two week window to $75 and you will have it tomorrow. These quotes were all for the same type of transporter.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am leaning towards driving it although a very large part of that trip will be rather boring (read midwest).

Anyway, in terms of research on moving companies in case others have a need later...

The auto transport industry is like the moving industry, unregulated, too many brokers using the same transport companies with arbitrary pricing, lack of any quality standards and serious ethical and business issues with many of them.

Nevertheless, like with U-Haul, if you are lucky everything goes fine or if you aren't so lucky then you land up in a mess. No guarantees. Since people don't use these services often, each company has good reports and some have bad reports (based on typically a single experience) but on the aggregate, they have almost all collected enough customer dissatisfaction to worry about.

Only one company seems to stand out over the rest and that is IntercityLines that I have not been able to find a single bad report about. The downside is that they are almost twice as expensive as every one else. But all their transports are all covered (as opposed to the open stacked transports others use as the default), they load and unload horizontally, they cover seats, insides and outsides with dust-proof material, etc. Basically a premier white-gloves service for the money and seem to be popular with owners of antique cars, high-end cars, race cars, etc.

Coast-coast is about $1800.

The problem with all of these companies including the above is that they never guarantee any pick up or delivery dates and they need to be scheduled far in advance for a window at either end.

I have no relationship with the IntercityLines company nor have I ever used them. But if I were to decide to ship it that would be the only company I have confidence in to try.

·
Registered
XF
26 Posts
If you have the time... do the X-country... What i do when i go thru the midwest, is to make sure i STOP every 100 miles... or at least one hour of driving! Even if it is a 5 minute stretch... u get to not only see america and but FEEL america... the people at the gas stations... country restuarants...stores... truck stops etc...

it makes a boring stretch of the ride more interesting...in my opinion.

however... if u r looking for a dependable auto-transport company...
PLYCON is the one i always suggest... UNIQUEWHIPS (LI NY) the cable tv show... uses these guys...

http://www.plyconvanlines.com/start.htm

j.

·
Registered
2006 SLK350
544 Posts
Definitely drive across. Too many folks who live on the coasts think everything between New York & California is a vast wasteland. Go see what the rest of us in fly-over country love about where we live.

·
Registered
XF
26 Posts
felkhound said:
Definitely drive across. Too many folks who live on the coasts think everything between New York & California is a vast wasteland. Go see what the rest of us in fly-over country love about where we live.

not me 'hound... i drive evry chance i get... through the heart and soul of this nation and what make this nation... from coast to coast, border to border... this is my home...

·
Registered
2006 SLK350
544 Posts
xfire1 said:
not me 'hound... i drive evry chance i get... through the heart and soul of this nation and what make this nation... from coast to coast, border to border... this is my home...

Think you misunderstood me....I have driven from coast to coast, north to south. I've driven in every state but Hawaii (been there, just didn't have the need to drive). All of these other folks need to get out there and see what we are talking about.

·
Registered
06 SL55
58 Posts
six days is probably the minimum amount of time you'd need for that distance to enjoy it (3000 miles / 6 day= 500 mi a day avg, @70 mph about 7 hrs of driving a day). i'd add a day or three if i could (there's a lot to see and love in this great land of ours). if not, i'd probably have it shipped.

i used DAS- www.dasautoshippers.com to ship my 91 saab from chicago to los angeles. it was $448 terminal to terminal (add $150 at each end if you want door-to-door service). they got the car to LA quickly & safely and have online tracking of the vehicle updated every 15 minutes or so. they have online quotes and the prices can fluctuate greatly hour by hour so if you don't like a quote, wait awhile and ask for another quote. i did it 3 or 4 times til i hit $448 (it started at $676). btw, all the guys on the saabnet love DAS...

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
DAS had a lot of good comments but also a lot of bad ones at epinion.com

http://www.epinions.com/hmgd-Moving...Auto_Shippers_Moving_Service/display_~reviews

They quoting me between $1200+ and $1500+ terminal-terminal for the SLK (if you tick the convertible checkbox, it will force a enclosed carrier option that is about $300 more expensive)

You are right about planning for more than 6 days for the drive. If only I could afford the time.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am not sure why some of the people above are automatically assuming people on either coast at the moment haven't seen the country. I haven't done a coast-coast but have driven through at least 40 states when I lived in WI but not in the SLK, of course.

I wonder if the hood will need repainting because of all the paint chipping if I do that drive without a car bra. It accumulates enough just in the daily commute.

Anyone have a long-distance drive experience in the SLK to comment on the above or on the comfort factor after a multi-day driving?

·
Registered
06 SL55
58 Posts
venk
the saab i had DAS ship was a convertible... but i played ignorant and didn't check the box. no one seemed to mind one way or the other. i think it came on an open transport.

i've driven my previous SLK, a 98 230 across country twice (Chi to SF). i found the seats not so good for long distance but overall the drives were pretty pleasant. on a handful of drives from LA to SF, the seats in my 02 32 are an improvement. didn't notice any excessive stonechipping just a lotta bugs...

·
Registered
XF
26 Posts
felkhound said:
Think you misunderstood me....I have driven from coast to coast, north to south. I've driven in every state but Hawaii (been there, just didn't have the need to drive). All of these other folks need to get out there and see what we are talking about.

apologies... guess i am shell-shocked by being new here...

...Not for anything, people afforded the opportunity to travel should stay domestically... not abroad... pick anywhere in the world and the USA has a spot that is better or comes close...

josh

·
Registered
1 Posts
lilbaggie said:
six days is probably the minimum amount of time you'd need for that distance to enjoy it (3000 miles / 6 day= 500 mi a day avg, @70 mph about 7 hrs of driving a day). i'd add a day or three if i could (there's a lot to see and love in this great land of ours). if not, i'd probably have it shipped.

i used DAS- www.dasautoshippers.com to ship my 91 saab from chicago to los angeles. it was $448 terminal to terminal (add $150 at each end if you want door-to-door service). they got the car to LA quickly & safely and have online tracking of the vehicle updated every 15 minutes or so. they have online quotes and the prices can fluctuate greatly hour by hour so if you don't like a quote, wait awhile and ask for another quote. i did it 3 or 4 times til i hit $448 (it started at $676). btw, all the guys on the saabnet love DAS...

I would avoid DAS at all costs. Here is a piture of what they did to my 99 Vette:

The entire underside of the front bumper cover and both rocker panels were gouged like this, also a quarter sized hole in the floor.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts