Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
If anyone does make such a thing, it will be Arnott

I think they were developing a standard shock system for the W220 that could replace ABC. I believe they needed to add some kind of swaybars as the ABC system removal would require the addition of these parts.

There was even some sort of circuitry or something to make the ABC think it was still working, so that you wouldn't get error messages.

I'm sure if they developed it for the W220 it wouldn't be incredibly difficult for them to adapt to R230. The ABC systems are different, but not so different that it is impossible.

·
Registered
2008 E63
41 Posts
Would it really be cost effective?

I read on here that a complete ABC system replacement costs around $15K-20K US. Which seems right to me as I was quoted around $6K to replace two shocks and the pump. So two more shocks and both valve blocks I could see pushing it close to 15.

But looking at parts.com:
Front struts $1200/ea so $2400
Rear struts $1000/ea so $2000
Valve blocks $1100/ea so $2200
Tandem pump $1200

$8K to replace the entire setup (leaving smaller priced items out but I could see that going up to 10-12 if you were to replace *every* component)... Labor would be expensive but to replace the system with a coilover setup I imagine would be outrageous as well, with having to install sway bars that the car was not designed for.

Also you would lose one of the coolest features of the car. Very, very few cars on the road have active suspension systems. In standard mode body roll is reduced by 68 percent. The fact that I can press a sport button on the console and have body roll reduced by 95 percent is OMFG awesome!

There's some awesome info about it here: ABC Introduction

·
Registered
364 Posts
Would it really be cost effective?
But looking at parts.com:
Front struts $1200/ea so $2400
Rear struts $1000/ea so $2000
Valve blocks $1100/ea so $2200
Tandem pump $1200

$8K to replace the entire setup
Actually replacing the entire setup is a lot cheaper than that. Look at Arnott's pricing on their website for rebuilt struts. Not including core charges (as you'll get that $ back for sending your old struts in), they are selling struts for $699. Last month they had a sale for $499 each.

So you're looking at $2k for all 4 struts, $1200 for the pump, and I'm sure you can buy the valve blocks cheaper... but if not, let's assume $2200

You can now get compatible fluid for $20/litre so the fluid flush (including new filter) is more like $200 if you have a DAS laptop (or have access to one) than $700+ as it used to cost.

Total cost for parts (not including labour) to replace the entire system, flush it, and make it like new again is more like $5500. And that is assuming that you are replacing *every* part on the ABC suspension (except hoses).

Considering how cheap these cars are getting, $5500 for the "worst case scenario" isn't bad. Remember that 4-8% of Boxster engines spontaneously combust and need full replacement.. and I'm sure those cost more than $5500! (assuming a new engine, or a low mileage used one).

And we are assuming that the idea of Arnott rebuilding $2000 struts for $500 isn't going to continue with the other parts. $1200 for a pump is expensive, but I'm sure someone will start rebuilding all of these cores that pile up and make $500 a piece. It will be profitable for them, and a great deal for us. Same with the valve blocks.. they're starting to pile up and someone will eventually figure out a good way to take a "scrap" valve block (value=$0) and turn it into a rebuilt (value=$$$).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts