Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2004 clk500
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, i am looking at a clk320 and wonder is rust going to be problem like my 2000 e320. my e is rusting in many places. starting at what year did mereedes use better paints? i did a search in the forum and didn't find anything on body rust problems. on the other hand if you search in the e class forum and you get a ton of results. any kind of inputs would help.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
salt will eat anything up and make it rust.the underbody of my 05 silverado is starting to see it and my durango has paint bubbling on a rear wheel well. best thing would be to buy one down south and take it to a body shop to have an anti-corrosive sprayed on.

·
Registered
2004 CLK 320
111 Posts
I have an 04 CLK320. I bought it last February, so am not the original owner (he lived in Nebraska if that helps, and the car had 24k miles when I got it).

The car has no rust issues, and as others have posted about their cars, I get a lot of "It looks brand new!" comments a lot from friends and strangers alike.

I live in FL, so no snow (salt issues) problems here. But again, the car having been in Nebraska for 6 years and no signs of rust whatsoever should give you some anecdotal evidence of one car.

If you get the CLK, enjoy it my friend! The best car I've owned, and I came late to the MB game...I was 52 when I bought the car. The first of the last set of cars that I'll be buying.

·
Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,377 Posts
starting at what year did mereedes use better paints? i did a search in the forum and didn't find anything on body rust problems.
Hi - It is not the paint.

I cannot find the reference right now, but I have definitely read somewhere that in 2002/2003 (in time for the introduction of the W209 model) MB introduced a new steel for some of their car bodies. This was the first of a new technology and MB claimed to have the best corrosion-resistance of all the world's car makers. Other models fell into line later on.

I remember feeling very pleased to know that my 2004 CLK was constructed with this new steel protection, and the car certainly shows no signs of body corrosion anywhere. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2004 clk500
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the inputs, so can i say from 2004 up all of the Mercedes are made with this better steel for the body panels. you know this gives me confidence into getting another Mercedes. because we own both a 1998 c230 and a 2000 e320 and they rust really bad of all the cars that we owned. now we are afraid to buy another Mercedes because of the rust.

·
Registered
2004 clk500
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,377 Posts
Oil manufacturer is not so important, provided the oil specification stated on the can is MB 229.5. That will give you a drain period up to 20k km (11k miles) provided a fleece filter is used.

I do use Mobil 1 0W40.

·
Registered
2004 CLK 500 Previously: 2001 CLK 430
107 Posts
thanks for this link, we just bought a 2004 clk500 and will be taking delivery sometime next week. i hope the body is galvanized.

do the engine have to use mobil 1 0w40 like my 2000 e320?
thats awesome me too , hopefully Wednesday

·
Registered
2004 clk500
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oil manufacturer is not so important, provided the oil specification stated on the can is MB 229.5. That will give you a drain period up to 20k km (11k miles) provided a fleece filter is used.

I do use Mobil 1 0W40.
the reason i asked is because i wasn't sure if the weight of the oil is correct. i got a bunch of 0w40 in the basement from advance auto part deal.

·
Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,377 Posts
the reason i asked is because i wasn't sure if the weight of the oil is correct. i got a bunch of 0w40 in the basement from advance auto part deal.
Ref oil viscosity:

According to my W209 Owners Manual, the 'weight' of the following multigrades is OK for ambient temps between +86 to -13 deg F (+30 to -25 deg C) - and beyond: 0W-30, 0W-40, 5W-30, 5W-40, 5W-50.

Your basement stock of oil will be fine for your new car. :)

·
Registered
2004 clk500
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ref oil viscosity:
Your basement stock of oil will be fine for your new car. :)
cool thanks.

we just got the car tonight, yay, but its for my brother. the v8 sounds so much like my e320 with the remus muffler and delete resonator. its almost identical except my e320 is a tiny bit louder. the v8 definitely have way more power on the highway. seems like a good buy to me. one thing i worry is that the first owner took delivery on oct 2, 2003 and MB started galvanizing the body on 2nd quarter of 2003, so can i say that our clk 100% galvanized?

·
Registered
73 Posts
My CLK is galvanised being 2008 build. However, the FIRST build was Jul 2003 and I am unsure when each product line was upgraded. IIRC the first prod line was the E series.

Someone more knowledgeable than me should give you a better answer

1 - 14 of 14 Posts