Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2000 S500 Black/Black
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On saturday my car gave me the ole' "Airmatic stop car too low" crap again. So i stop the car i check it out from the outside and it seemed fine. I kept driving and the message keeps coming on and off randomly. I drove about 20 miles i got home and parked. A few hrs later i came outside and i noticed that the rear was kinda low. The next morning the rear down to the floor almost. I turned the car on and it starts rising but it wont rise all the way only about half way. I was able to drive it to the shop yesterday (it still gives me the airmatic message but it rises about half way, enough to drive it)

The shop called me today said the rear strut had a leak and had to be replaced they said the strut will cost 900 new and about 500 in labor. He said I could also get a used one but he wouldn’t recommend it.

I was wondering if anyone had experience with a used one or would you not recommend it or if I had any other options. Also, what do you guys think about the pricing. Thanks i would appreciate any advice.

·
Registered
CLS550 Master Lease, 1990 300zxTT, 2000 camry
361 Posts
I would not get a used one at all because you dont know when it will fail. I dont see any problem getting a remanufactured one if you can find them.

·
Registered
W210.265/2001, W220/S500/2000, Porsche 997 C2S/2006, GMC K1500/1992
2,157 Posts
I do not know how long you drive that car, if that were the original struts, buy a seal kit and fix it. 10 years is not bad to have a bad seal. Most front one fail in first 70K miles and guys in the north only last for 35K because of cold climate. Mine front were resealed at 70K last year and still have the original rear.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
I was wonder, did the mfg.er really designed a different air struts for the rear. This air struts, as I know , is the only one available in the mkt. Why they designed two different struts. I wish mi23 can post here later after taken out the rear struts, so we can all look at it here.

·
Registered
2000 S500 Black/Black
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well I think I will go with the arnotts remanufactured ones. my car has 64000 miles and the front ones haven't gone bad yet but I haven't installed the seal kit its all original. im glad you tell me you still have the original rear ones cause I was wondering if I should just replace both but I don't think those have given anyone much trouble. and if you want some pictures of the rear one I can post some after the shop changes it for me cause I don't know how to change it or have the tools

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
It is very unusual that both rear struts go bad at the same time if you are using the original front struts. Most of the poster here has front struts problem and I never heard any has rear struts problem at this low mileage. Unless you are always load up your car with heavy loads at the boot and full passengers at the back, otherwise most of your load is in the front with engine, driver and sudden stops. I suspect you may have a bad pressure block valve next to the pump that control the PSI for the two struts at the rear axle.

·
Registered
2000 S500 Black/Black
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well im not sure how it messed up, but i bought the arnotts one today in the morning and it should be here in 3 days. I had considered doing the spring conversion from strutmasters but i didn't find a single person who had done it to an s500 and could review it for me but one guy who bought it said they looked like a kid welded together and his shop refused to install them lol. i wanted the conversion just cause i didn't want to constantly be worrying about it. But since the remanufactured one wasn't too expensive i decided to buy it and if anything else goes wrong in the future i hope Arnotts has completed their conversion kit which is under development right now.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
show a pic of the reman. as soon you received from Arnotts. We are very interest to see if it is same as the one from the front.

·
Registered
2000 S500 Black/Black
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
for sure i'll post some pictures, im assuming it is different because on the arnott website the front and rear look different in the pictures and the front ones even cost about 50 dollars more.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts