Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
2006 E55: 1999 ML430; 2002 E430 4matic; 1988 190E 2.3; 1993 XL883
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting ready to change the air filter for the spring. Is anyone using a K&N air filter in their ML430 and if so is there any real performance advantage over the regular filter?

·
Premium Member
05 500
6,598 Posts
None, zero and may actually be not so good for the ML's motor. I us it on my Z but you get no real measurable HP gain and that's because the exhaust isn't doing it's part along with intake change. Now, if you do the cone type, there may be some gain, I don't know. The only advantage is longer life. Again, I'm not sure it's that good for the ML's motor.

·
Registered
ML430 - sold
929 Posts
The stock air filter is....

plenty adequate to let your engine breath - as I recall the same filter is used on the ML55.
Changing it to a K&N might even let over sized particals into your engine or even worse if it's an 'oiled' type filter damage the MAF sensor.

·
Premium Member
2006 E55: 1999 ML430; 2002 E430 4matic; 1988 190E 2.3; 1993 XL883
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for such good answers. I always change the filter every spring, and can not complain about performace. Not really looking for longer life and I doubt to get 1 million miles out of the ML. I always read of increased horsepower of the K&N and wanted hear about real results. Good point on the oiled filter possibly affecting the MAF!

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'm getting ready to change the air filter for the spring. Is anyone using a K&N air filter in their ML430 and if so is there any real performance advantage over the regular filter?
I changed mine out just about a month ago and I can tell the difference in the throttle response as well as a slight increase in MPG. I've used K&N on all my previous vehicles and had no problems at all. It's worth $50.

·
Registered
90 300E
278 Posts
I changed mine out just about a month ago and I can tell the difference in the throttle response as well as a slight increase in MPG. I've used K&N on all my previous vehicles and had no problems at all. It's worth $50.
i agree with brownbear. i use it on my 98 ml with 199,xxx miles and i use it with my 87 560SL and it does sound a little more deeper and slight better gas mileage. i think its totally worth it.

·
Registered
2000 ML430 SOLD, 2007 BMW 328i Coupe, 2014 BMW i3, 2019 Honda Odyssey
2,982 Posts
Try waxing the truck too. The decrease in dirt buildup improves aerodynamics and shaves a tenth of the 0-60 and adds .5 MPG.

Point is, it's all in your head- I'm not knocking everyone, I have one too. Once you forget it's there, throttle response goes right back to where it was.

·
Registered
90 300E
278 Posts
Try waxing the truck too. The decrease in dirt buildup improves aerodynamics and shaves a tenth of the 0-60 and adds .5 MPG.

Point is, it's all in your head- I'm not knocking everyone, I have one too. Once you forget it's there, throttle response goes right back to where it was.
you'd be surprised....you can vacuum the inside and think you are going a lot faster than it was before:D:surrender:

·
Premium Member
2013 C250
7,273 Posts
you'd be surprised....you can vacuum the inside and think you are going a lot faster than it was before:D:surrender:
As usual the claims of better gas mileage are just guesses at best.

·
Registered
2002 ML500 1998 S500
13 Posts
I used one in my '02 ML500 and did not notice any performance or fuel mileage improvement, but when you opened the throttle up it sounded really good... I got cold feet about it because I heard the some people got oil on their Mass Airflow Sensor from the filter and caused some trouble. I went back to a genuine MB filter and its working just fine.... Just my two cents...

·
Registered
W204 & W211
2,717 Posts
ditto...
i have it on my cars and they are great! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1922 Ford T no OBD, no ECU, no SCN
37,836 Posts
The only advantage is longer life. Again, I'm not sure it's that good for the ML's motor.
RIGHT.
Those household craw space screens have expected life span of 100 years. If you want better performance and are not worry about engine life, why not use one of those?
I bet the deep sound will beat K&N by far.

·
Premium Member
05 500
6,598 Posts
No way, it's all in your heads. There's no way you will increase throttle response along with mileage if you still let the same mass of air go through the exhaust, no way. Just think of it this way: you find some way to increase the amount of air that gets into your lungs but don't bother to get that same amount of increase out! You may breathe better but you won't shit anymore than usual. Where in the world does the xtra "stuff" you pulled in go? It simply makes up for the inbuilt inefficacy of the system, which is very minimal. More red blood cells to do work but some other part of you has to work harder than normal to deal with the chocked shit-out system!! Now if somehow you can also increase your shit-output-rate, you'd truly be superhuman.

I also have used K&N filters for years on a lot of cars and have not seen any measurable HP/MPG gains without exhaust mods. It will never happen (measurable) period! The only way to get a measurable gain is to do the exhaust also. The exception would be in some turbocharged systems where an increase in intake would make a measurable HP gain, but that's another script.

·
Registered
46 Posts
No way, it's all in your heads. There's no way you will increase throttle response along with mileage if you still let the same mass of air go through the exhaust, no way. Just think of it this way: you find some way to increase the amount of air that gets into your lungs but don't bother to get that same amount of increase out! You may breathe better but you won't shit anymore than usual. Where in the world does the xtra "stuff" you pulled in go? It simply makes up for the inbuilt inefficacy of the system, which is very minimal. More red blood cells to do work but some other part of you has to work harder than normal to deal with the chocked shit-out system!! Now if somehow you can also increase your shit-output-rate, you'd truly be superhuman.

I also have used K&N filters for years on a lot of cars and have not seen any measurable HP/MPG gains without exhaust mods. It will never happen (measurable) period! The only way to get a measurable gain is to do the exhaust also. The exception would be in some turbocharged systems where an increase in intake would make a measurable HP gain, but that's another script.
I don't want to argue this point, but I have seen an increase in MPG. It's no a large increase, but I can tell the change. It's all personal preference. If it didn't work or help, why are we all still talking about this subject? Why would we all have spend the $50 for the filter.

·
Registered
ml500 w163 2002
456 Posts
Throttle response doesn't simply equate to more power or the need for more air to go out as you put it. It's not as simple common sense but rather physical properties. In the example you mentioned, lets see if you can run with your mouth closed and have a clogged nose or put a mask on. Take the mask off and let as much air as you can in and you will see which helps your lungs breathe better.

Throttle response is simply the pedal feeling lighter and more responsive as the air able to get in much quicker (not necessarily much more constant volume). Take off the intake box and you will see the throttle is quicker because the initial air that is first sucked in can come in much quicker than if it had a restricted air filter.

This is the exact reason why people with cone filters think they have more power because they feel a lighter, more responsive throttle, but the dyno will show that the hot air makes you lose power. Throttle response and hp are two different things. I know how a poor throttle response feels due to restricted air flow, because I had a rat that climbed into one of my older car's intake pipe into the box, and the car ran like it had 100k mile old spark plugs. Take out the rat (which was so dry and felt like a stuffed animal by the time I took it out) and the throttle response was much better. Same effect like the K&N from paper filter.

·
Registered
2004 CL55
1,525 Posts
I had a rat that climbed into one of my older car's intake pipe into the box, and the car ran like it had 100k mile old spark plugs. Take out the rat (which was so dry and felt like a stuffed animal by the time I took it out) and the throttle response was much better..

sorry to be off-topic, but how long did it actually take to figure out there was a rat inside? can you get in some more details please? simply curious.

·
Registered
ml500 w163 2002
456 Posts
sorry to be off-topic, but how long did it actually take to figure out there was a rat inside? can you get in some more details please? simply curious.
it was actually my brother's car i shared with him in high school years ago. he cares less about cars and could drive the car without oil so I dunno how long it was in there before we found it. It was a nissan 240sx from 1990, and i found a streched out dirty rat in there that looked tangled with toilet paper.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts