Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife's '99 E320 wagon recently started experiencing start up problems.

Engine cranks but will not fire. After cycling the door locks through the lock/unlock mode with the remote key, a tip from a local mechanic, and letting the car sit for a few minutes, it starts right up.

Car has 107K miles on it and has been regularly serviced.

Anyone have an idea what's causing this?

·
Registered
1996 210.020
3,972 Posts
Hello Crandad and welcome to the forum. Please take a moment to complete your user profile with your location and vehicle year and model (for future reference).

My '96 started having DAS issues upon an attempted start due to a failing K40 relay module. Thermal changes in the module would interrupt current to the engine computer, causing the system to lock me out. It also shut my car down once while I was driving. Not a good thing.

I can't say that this is what is wrong with yours, but the K40 module does go bad.

·
Registered
2003 Mercedes Benz E500
668 Posts
A quick question...

Is the difficulty in starting happening when the car is warmed up, or from cold?

The "letting the car sit for a few minutes, it starts right up" part of your post makes me think it may be your crank position sensor acting up.

JR

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can't recall that it's ever happened when the engine was cold.

The waiting a few minutes after cycling the lock/unlock was the mechanics idea. Said the car's computer needed to reset.

·
Registered
2003 Mercedes Benz E500
668 Posts
Your car...

has the classic symptoms of a CPS on the way out... There is a sticky covering the replacement.

Parts from Autohaus AZ, or GermanStar.

Good luck,

JR

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Took it to the local independant Mercedes shop. They said it was throwing codes for the electronic ignition switch but will let it sit overnight and try again tomorrow.

Any idea how much a new EIS will set me back? He mentioned that I will probably have to purchase a new remote key as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts