Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1999 SL500
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a one owner 1986 SL with 58,000 miles on it this last Friday the 25th. It really is a nice car and it feels almost brand new when you are driving it. But I am having two very weird things happening in the car and can't figure out what is going on. And I am wondering, after reading some of the past posts on this subject, if they might be related. And I guess what makes diagnosing so much fun is it has to repeat itself enough to figure out what is going on to fix it. Well here goes: At least twice in 3 days I noticed when I would turn the key off, this amazingly loud buzzing sound would be heard. It sounded like you left the RADIO up full blast and it was tuned to a non-station setting on the dial. This would only last 2 to 3 seconds. I had been playing the radio but I always turn it off before I turn the car off. This sound is coming from somewhere but I am not real sure where. If I were to guess, it sure does sound like from the radio speakers!!! And then my second guess would be behind the instrument panel. It is not the buzzer that goes off when you leave your key in the ignition and open the door! Take that sound and amplify it about 20 times and then give it a mad at the world attitude and you have something close to the sound. Now, there is this other problem. For some reason, when the car is locked, the anti-theft alarm will go off. All three times it has gone off this week-end it has went off by itself. Doors were locked and nobody around. I believe these cars came with a tow module (?) and I wonder if that would be causing the last problem. As they get old I think they might get either hypersensitive or not work at all! I don't have bright ideas often so I am still shocked at this logic but what if the radio's anti-theft engineering thinks someone is stealing the radio and the anti theft alarm is going off?? And that loud sound I hear is some short or something in the radio when I turn the car off? After a good laugh at how crazy this sounds, would any of you have a clue about this? Thanks for any light you can shed on this.
SL 500 Driver

1 - 1 of 1 Posts