Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
1991 300TE with 222K miles. I have had an ongoing braking problem. In slippery conditions (rain or snow) or when needing to brake suddenly on drive pavement, the ABS kicks in way too early. It has almost cost me several wrecks (stop driving it until it is fixed, right!). I have new tires, new front and rear brake pads also. The front wheel sensors ohm out in their proper range. I need to check but the drivers rear caliper may not be engaging properly. I had the left rear up on jacks and hit the brakes but the wheel did not stop spinning. I am getting brake fluid out of all the bleeders. Not sure where to go from here.

Confirmed that left rear caliper is not stopping rotor. Brake fluid is coming out of bleeder. Since there is only one ABS for the rear (I understand it plugs into diff housing), could a single rear caliper not engaging cause ABS problems?

·
Registered
16,762 Posts
No brake fluid should come out of the calipers at all, unless the bleeder is open. Suggest you replace bleeder nipples first and see if behavior changes.

If not, the problem is likely within the calipers (seized) which you can rebuild although new pre-assembled ones are not that expensive.

If replacing the calipers, it is highly recommend to install new flex brake lines as the originals are probably due for replacement. Be sure to use flared metric wrenches to avoid rounding off the end of the hard line.

Be sure to use a pressure bleeder (Motiv makes a excellent one) that attaches to the brake fluid reservoir, pump up to 2 bar (30psi) and bleed starting from RR, LR, FR, FL using a good brake fluid such as ATE Typ 200 or SuperBlue. Bleed your brakes yearly (ideal) or at least with every brake pad service interval.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. When I say that brake fluid is coming out of the bleeders, I mean when I crack them open...not just leaking. Sorry for the confusion.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts