Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2000 S430, 2003 S430, 2000 S500, 2003 S600 TT, and 2005 E320 CDI
4,488 Posts
Zerex G-05, like all antifreezes I know of, is still ethylene-glycol based:

The reported pH of ethylene gylcol pH is about 7.0 to 7.1(meaning it's neutral to a light base and not acidic, and, yes, acids could attack aluminum castings), but this differs little from regular ethylene glycol.

I think the longevity of the hoses has more to do with the material the hoses are made of, rather than the liquids flowing through them.

Still, if you want to blow $300 or $400 on a coolant bottle every two years who am I to argue? I just go by the old "if it ain't broke don't mend it" mantra.
Whoa! Who're you buying them from for that inflated price?? I paid $38, shipped, for a tank, for Genuine-MB, when I did mine this year. Here's the link.

PS has it ever occurred to you that the color is down to the addition of a dye? Ethylene glycol itself is colorless. And I assure you, that since we use the stuff to dry out gas pipelines, I've seen an awful lot more of it than you will ever do in a lifetime.
That's nice that you've seen so much of it. I've seen plenty of it, too. So what? There's more in there, i. e. additives, as your own posts indicate, in automotive coolant than just straight ethylene glycol. Of course that color comes from a dye; that dye is an indicator for the automotive technician as another check on whether they're really filling the cooling system with what they mean to fill it up with.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Thanks for all the reply's ! I'm going to go with G-05 , it's what's in there now , I do want it to be good for -30 degrees F. I'm a skier and plan to be in the mountains of Idaho , Montana and Utah this season

·
Registered
2008 AMG CLK63 Conv., 2012 R350 4-Matic, Wife's 2015 C300 sedan
9,960 Posts
^ We just got back from the trip from hell to A$pen, in our 20-year old Discovery with no working heater, 70 mph blizzards, rock falls, I-70 closed, alternative route though Fairplay closed....

Discovery was used because the R350's transfer case chain was being replaced. Last time we threatened her with going to A$$pen she blew out her rear air suspenders. Give the old girl her due, she got through all that with no problems at all, but when we got back to TX she threw in the towel and the A/C compressor froze up.

The wife and sprogs are taking the R350 on another ski trip this weekend, this time to Steamboat Springs. I've bought a full size spare wheel and tire, tried to get the heated steering wheel working (no joy so far), fixed the ABS , fitted 100 watt headlight bulbs, about to change the wiper blades, put genuine Mercedes cold weather air in the tires...

And now she wants a flaming roof rack, four days before she leaves, so she doesn't have to carry the skis inside.

BTW do you mean genuine -30 °F (62 °F below freezing) or 30 °F below freezing, actually +2 °F? It's a common mistake which, as an engineer, boils my, ahem, personal antifreeze...

A genuine -30 °F might be a problem...

·
Registered
9,960 Posts
Whoa! Who're you buying them from for that inflated price?? I paid $38, shipped, for a tank, for Genuine-MB, when I did mine this year. Here's the link.
Last year they were $150 or so, plus tax, plus fitting. I checked when I had to replace the one on my 63 and the canutes that did the engine swap tried to charge me $600 for one!

That's nice that you've seen so much of it. I've seen plenty of it, too. So what? There's more in there, i. e. additives, as your own posts indicate, in automotive coolant than just straight ethylene glycol. Of course that color comes from a dye; that dye is an indicator for the automotive technician as another check on whether they're really filling the cooling system with what they mean to fill it up with.
Agreed, but the "don't use this one because it's green, use that one because it's blue" doesn't add up any more than saying silver Mercs are faster / slower than black ones. And G-05 is yellow anyway.

Additives in addition to the MEG are probably there as pH modifiers, stabilizers or as the dye.

Now. My CLK63 tank didn't come with any magic crystals. Should I complain?

Can I buy new magic crystals without buying a tank?

·
Registered
02 c320, 99 C43, 90 560SEL, 67 280SL
48 Posts
Just happened by, Since most people don't have results of taking chances with antifreeze, I've had a 67 250SL since 1970. It hasn't seen MB fluid since I've had it. It only has 110K on it so the fluid sets for years. II don't drive it, or even strt it for years a a time. I changed the antifreeze a lot less than the oil. Every for few years I get back into it. When I do drive it, I drive it hard and hot. Two years ago I was tuning the injection pump. They are set up on a test stand, not your motor or the way you drive. I saw a little gasket seepage from the original head gasket and pulled the head. I had re-torqued the head maybe twice and adjusted the valves many times. I've seen a few mistreated alu heads eaten out from I am not sure what, but the holes are much bigger than stock when mistreated. Those heads were maybe 20 years old.

Mine wasn't like that. After 50 years of just checking the level, freeze point with the floating balls and later the floating pointers, changing the fluid maybe every 10 years with probably Prestone on sale, maybe Zerez. It is a Mercedes. I just replaced the 2nd lower radiator hose, 25 years old? It had swollen noticeably at the thermostat and was seeping just a little past the clamp. Since I look under the hood, I notice when end-of-life is near on rubber parts, so I don't worry about a hose blowing unexpectedly. This kind of longevity and the level of performance is why I turned to Mercedes.
I've had a few, my wife and both kids are driving them. My 202 C320 has 262K on it, original drive train, just casual but consistent maintenance. I just pumped out the fluids on my wifes' R350 at 125k, anti freeze I'm not worried about. However, the other modern synthetic fluids are critical because the pumps and materials are designed for them. I mis understood the spec for the power steering fluid and pump could not build enough pressure with high-end non-synthetic power steering fluid. The German synthetic bailed me out. But the anti-freeze was Prestone.

·
Registered
9,960 Posts
^ My R350 has done 210k miles on its coolant. Besides occasional top offs it's never been changed AFAIK (and I've put 155k of those miles on her). But then I live in 77433 and hard freezes are pretty rare.

·
Registered
2006 cdi, 1993 500e
208 Posts
Hey if you are paying $150 for the reservoir, you are hitting the "matrix pricing" as a walk-in at a dealership. $38 sounds about right discounted from MBUSA suggested list price.

·
Registered
2006 E320 CDI
673 Posts
If you are not buying 50/50 premix antifreeze DO NOT use anything other than distilled water to dilute it. Purified water is only filtered water it does not have any minerals removed such as calcium. It is the calcium that deposits onto the tubes of the radiator and clogs it.

·
Registered
2008 E320 OM642 Bluetec1992 300D 2.5 Turbo (Sold @ 248k running strong), 1985 240D (sold)
89 Posts
Distilled water. Why potentially add lime and possibly electrolytes by using tap water?
My old 240D manual just said "potable" water. Well, the well water at my old house was "potable" water, but you wouldn't want that much lime and iron content in your coolant system! Just like my old 240D manual had a suggested max gasoline percentage for Winter fuel mix. Uh, I will forgo the gasoline/diesel mix outside of Siberia, thank you.

·
Registered
87 300D 5 speed
5,413 Posts
Done it all me life.

Think about it.

If there's bugger all limescale in your tap water there'll be bugger all of bugger all in the 3 or 4 litres you put through your radiator. And it's a CLOSED system, not like the hot water heater in your home.
Dystilled water costs $1 per gallon.

·
Registered
9,960 Posts
Yeah, it's more the PITA of driving thirty minutes somewhere and thirty minutes back to get it that bugs me. One other thing we used to do is boil the water in an electric kettle first. That makes all the limescale drop out anyway.

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,205 Posts
I keep several gallons of DW in my house all the time. Not only for radiators, but for windshield washers as well.
DW has infinite shelf life, so good for emergencies as well.

·
Registered
9,960 Posts
Distilled water for windshield washers?

Meh.

When I was in Aspen two weeks ago I used PERRIER. (Truth - I was stuck).

·
Registered
138 Posts
My understanding is without a boil over the ethylene glycol content is stable. The anti-corrosion compounds of the stuff that is used up over time. The new MB antifreeze (~2003 to 2005 switch over to the very long life antifreeze and uses a rejuvenater pack in the reservoir. I think it's a 15 year/150000 mile service item. It's important to get the correct rejuvenater pack to match the anti-freeze. Color suggest a chemistry but is NOT a solid indication of the chemistry used. If in doubt, call your MBZ part department and/or flush thoroughly with water before putting the concentrated new antifreeze and reservoir. These recommendations do not apply retroactively to older models and not to turbo coolant.

Ref: https://www.mbca.org/sites/default/files/antifreedec04_0.pdf

·
Registered
2000 S430, 2003 S430, 2000 S500, 2003 S600 TT, and 2005 E320 CDI
4,488 Posts
Last year they were $150 or so, plus tax, plus fitting. I checked when I had to replace the one on my 63 and the canutes that did the engine swap tried to charge me $600 for one!
Seriously?? Yikes! Yeah, some shops are rip-off artists, unfortunately. It's probable that the competition of online pricing has helped here, but that $600 was way over the top. DAYUM....

This is exactly the sort of reason, BTW, why I learned how to work on our cars myself. Was happening to my now-wife some years ago, and I got tired of that happening to her.

Agreed, but the "don't use this one because it's green, use that one because it's blue" doesn't add up any more than saying silver Mercs are faster / slower than black ones. And G-05 is yellow anyway.

Additives in addition to the MEG are probably there as pH modifiers, stabilizers or as the dye.

Now. My CLK63 tank didn't come with any magic crystals. Should I complain?

Can I buy new magic crystals without buying a tank?
Heh, I doubt they're "magic"; it's just chemistry. :) And for $38, might as well get the new rejuvination pack, especially since the tanks come factory with it, at least for W211's and W220's.

And yes, you should complain! For the price of those cars, they should've put the magic crystals in there, dagnabbit! :-D

·
Registered
138 Posts
The shops charge what the market will bear. Depending on location, $100 to $200 for an oil change. Anti free change on my Toyota was $120.

·
Registered
9,960 Posts
The b arstewards that tried to rip me off for the coolant tank were the same ones who tired to stiff me on my engine swap and charge $3000 labor for fitting replacement throttle bodies on the CLK63. We went to court... I was happier with the result than they were.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts