Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to be doing a flush and fill soon , any ideas on the best anti-freeze to use for my 04 E500 ??

·
Registered
2008 AMG CLK63 Conv., 2012 R350 4-Matic, Wife's 2015 C300 sedan
9,960 Posts
I use Zerex G-05. Available 50/50 or undiluted at O"Reilly.

I wouldn't worry about using distilled water if you dilute your own unless you live in a hard water area.

·
Registered
2000 S430, 2003 S430, 2000 S500, 2003 S600 TT, and 2005 E320 CDI
4,488 Posts
Whatever green coolant is cheapest mixed with distilled water. Replace it every two years.
Sorry, I cannot agree with that; this is wrong. My owner's manual clearly states that the correct coolant for our cars is G-05 (the yellow stuff). That definitely includes Xerex G-05. As of 2008, G-48 (the blue stuff) is also recommended by Mercedes-Benz for our cars. Either one of these two is correct; cheap green coolant is not. This is true for the entirety of the M112/M113/OM648 family of engines. The chemicals in G-05 and G-48 are different from the bright-green Prestone-style coolant that you see in the Walmart or other places.

OP, please, use the correct coolant. M-B recommended it for a reason. And no, you don't have to use distilled water--again, per the Owner's Manual--unless you have rather "hard" water. However, given the low price of distilled water at my local Walmart (82 cents/gallon), there's no reason not to use it.

And while you're at it, also replace the coolant overflow tank. Reason for this is that there's a chemical compound "rejuvinator" in that tank. This is how you get the longevity between coolant flushes. Over time, that chemical "rejuvinator" pack in the tank naturally wears out. Fortunately, new overflow tanks with new chemical packs are not very expensive online. I get mine at MBOemParts.com, and it's Genuine-MB, for a quite reasonable price, along with free shipping if you use the BenzWorld discount code. Other online vendors also sell them at reasonable prices. Avoid Behr's and Meyle's tanks because both are, sadly, made in China and thus suspect.

·
Registered
9,960 Posts
Or just use undiluted snake oil...

·
Registered
2000 S430, 2003 S430, 2000 S500, 2003 S600 TT, and 2005 E320 CDI
4,488 Posts
As long as it's G-05 or G-48 spec snake oil, I agree! :)

·
Registered
MY05 CLK55 AMG ,CLK320,Former,C180 Kompressor,Jensen Healey,Ford Capri V6,Alfa GTV.
1,643 Posts
I have an 04 M112 and an 05 M113 ,,same as Benny ,,,both these cars originally came with blue fluid...
I found genuine MB 325.0 spec blue coolant concentrate from the dealer was only a few dollars more than G-05...So I use that and purified water ,,no sodium ,no chloride etc..
cowboyt thanks for the info about the reservoir ,,,I never knew whether they contained a silica chemical gel pack or not,,,nobody seemed to know ,,,
so to be clear if we fit a new tank ,,genuine ,,then we don't need to change fluid again for 15 years is that right ?

·
Registered
9,960 Posts
Done it all me life.

Think about it.

If there's bugger all limescale in your tap water there'll be bugger all of bugger all in the 3 or 4 litres you put through your radiator. And it's a CLOSED system, not like the hot water heater in your home.

·
Registered
2009 e350 sport
203 Posts
Sorry, I cannot agree with that; this is wrong. My owner's manual clearly states that the correct coolant for our cars is G-05 (the yellow stuff). That definitely includes Xerex G-05. As of 2008, G-48 (the blue stuff) is also recommended by Mercedes-Benz for our cars. Either one of these two is correct; cheap green coolant is not. This is true for the entirety of the M112/M113/OM648 family of engines. The chemicals in G-05 and G-48 are different from the bright-green Prestone-style coolant that you see in the Walmart or other places.

OP, please, use the correct coolant. M-B recommended it for a reason. And no, you don't have to use distilled water--again, per the Owner's Manual--unless you have rather "hard" water. However, given the low price of distilled water at my local Walmart (82 cents/gallon), there's no reason not to use it.

And while you're at it, also replace the coolant overflow tank. Reason for this is that there's a chemical compound "rejuvinator" in that tank. This is how you get the longevity between coolant flushes. Over time, that chemical "rejuvinator" pack in the tank naturally wears out. Fortunately, new overflow tanks with new chemical packs are not very expensive online. I get mine at MBOemParts.com, and it's Genuine-MB, for a quite reasonable price, along with free shipping if you use the BenzWorld discount code. Other online vendors also sell them at reasonable prices. Avoid Behr's and Meyle's tanks because both are, sadly, made in China and thus suspect.
Xerex G-05 is what I use in my 09 E350

·
Registered
9,960 Posts
Yeah me too, but if I'm ever stuck where I can't get that I'll top off with something else provided I read the label first, and I avoid gas station or own-brand stuff like the plague. I don't buy into the "you must always use the same brand to top off" BS any more than I buy into "you must only use Mercedes approved air in your tires".

·
Registered
2006 cdi, 1993 500e
208 Posts
All said- you should replace the reservoir as part of the coolant service. They tend to fail at the worse possible times. The upper bleed hose end which fits into the reservoir seem to be fragile too.

·
Registered
9,960 Posts
Don't be ridiculous! That's tantamount to saying "change the crankshaft every time you change the oil because you never know..."

Why stop with the coolant and reservoir? Why not change all the hoses and radiator while you're at it? Because you never know...

Fact is the coolant itself really doesn't need to be changed every two years to begin with. So long as the anti-freeze / water ratio remains at about 50% it's fine. The old fashioned way of doing that was with a hydrometer (home brewers and wine makers will know what one of those is), same as you used to use on the lead-acid batteries. These days, I suppose, M-B just prefers to let its dealers screw you for a $300 coolant change and another $300 for a coolant reservoir filled with "magic crystals" by all accounts. And when I replaced the one on my 08 CLK63 simply because the idiots that changed the engine cracked said over-flow spigot off, it did NOT come with any magic crystals inside.

Yes, the plastic can go brittle in time, and yes, the overflow / relief hose connection (1/4 inch) is liable to get snapped off if you're rough with it, but changing the reservoir just because you're changing the coolant? Gimme a break!

·
Registered
2006 cdi, 1993 500e
208 Posts
Hey I wantedajag-

No offence, but the change in coolant technology(chemistry) is real and not some sort of hocus pocus. With good coolant, the hoses tend to last a very long time -unlike the old days. This is primarly, that unlike green coolant (ethelyene glycol/)which starts out acidic and turns basic as it reacts within the system. G05 and G48(HOAT?) are buffered and stay ~ ph 7 throught it's life. This is incredibly important with aluminum engines.

You are welcome to maintain your cars however you like. The reservoirs on W211's are known to fail- if it's already 10-15 years old and has 150,000 miles on it, its time. This is NOT like a crankshaft change with oil change. It's solid advice, mechanic's based on service knowledge of 100s of w211s. You can obviously inspect it... the bleed hose is the known weak area. I don't know if there is or is not a coolant supplement in the tank. I do know the factory part was about the same cost for me as the aftermarket.

·
Registered
9,960 Posts
Zerex G-05, like all antifreezes I know of, is still ethylene-glycol based:

The reported pH of ethylene gylcol pH is about 7.0 to 7.1(meaning it's neutral to a light base and not acidic, and, yes, acids could attack aluminum castings), but this differs little from regular ethylene glycol.

I think the longevity of the hoses has more to do with the material the hoses are made of, rather than the liquids flowing through them.

Still, if you want to blow $300 or $400 on a coolant bottle every two years who am I to argue? I just go by the old "if it ain't broke don't mend it" mantra.

PS has it ever occurred to you that the color is down to the addition of a dye? Ethylene glycol itself is colorless. And I assure you, that since we use the stuff to dry out gas pipelines, I've seen an awful lot more of it than you will ever do in a lifetime.

·
Registered
9,960 Posts
PS Here is Valvoline's own MSDS on Zerez G-05 - note the ethylene glycol content at the bottom of the page.

·
Registered
9,960 Posts
Note the quoted pH at the bottom of this page

1 - 20 of 40 Posts