Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
07 SL350, 14 BMW320, 05 SLK and 4.6 MGBV8
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I always thought the stub aerial on the rear wing was the FM and GPS antenna.
Yesterday, I noticed in the windscreen is a very fine wire going up the centre and branching accross to the outside, as if this were an aerial...
Are there two aerials?

·
Registered
2005 SL500 Iridium Silver/Ash with wood trim upgrade...
87 Posts
Are you speaking of the rear window? If so, those are the heating elements for the rear defroster.

If you have wires in your front windscreen, then you may have one of those special "Mission Impossible" Edition SL350s with the radar jammer! :D

Rook

·
Registered
'04 SL 500; '05 SLK 350
166 Posts
AFAIK the rear antenna is for fone and GPS, the wiring in the windscreen is for FM radio reception.

·
Registered
07 SL350, 14 BMW320, 05 SLK and 4.6 MGBV8
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for this. I never realised.
I have a spare rear wing antenna and hoped to use it on a car I am building. I guess I will scrap that idea now...

·
Registered
30 Posts
the rear antenna is for the phone, and the FM antenna is on the front screen, i though the GPS antenna was mount under the dash - but i could be wrong.

I know that this is the case for sure on a CLK as the wife just has reversed into the garage, but didnt wait until the door had opened fully !!!!

Resulting in one roof antenna ripped of and i mean RIPPED OFF, along with a little bit of roof !!!!!

The phone reception is now very very poor but the FM and GPS are still perfect !

·
Registered
930 Posts
Heres what I think :: the am/fm is in the windshield, the phone is the rear stub, the gps is in the hood- drivers side vent with the dome.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts