Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone has problems with their antenna coming loose?

Today, I took my SLK to Embassy carwash (an automatic wash service with people who vucumm and dry the car). My antenna was knocked off by a cleaning brush.

Later, I was able to locate the wire through an openning in the trunk and re-attach it. However, I think it is still loose. Anyone experienced a similar problem?

Kenneth

·
Registered
SLK32
915 Posts
The antenna should be removed prior to going through those types of carwashes.

·
Registered
SLK32 AMG
121 Posts
Mine loosened up and after reading the problems others have had with this I took it back to the dealer and he fixed it under warranty.

·
Premium Member
SLK 230
1,498 Posts
just for the info, old post.

Read before you start
Go slow, take your time.
1 Remove the antenna mast by unscrewing it.
Remember "Lefty Loosey Righty Tighty".
2 Then take the 10 mm wrench from the tool kit and turn the silver nut under the threads that held on the mast.
Be careful and go slow there is not enough room to turn the wrench all the way around it will bind up and scratch the fender.
3 Remove the nut. Gently lift off the black base, careful not to jerk it or scratch the fender.
It will come off, the signal wire is attached to it.
4 Open the trunk.
5 Remove the plastic rivet holding the upper fuzzy panel at the trunk hinge.
6 Gently pull back the upper fuzzy panel only.
7 Shine a flash light in there to see what is in there.
The base backing plate will be stuck to the fender at the hole or it may have fallen down along the wire to the booster box where the wire attaches.
*CAUTION*
When you reach into the fender well to undo the wire there are very sharp edges in there that will cut your hand so go slowly. (a glove is too bulky)
8 Follow the wire to the box and gently push down on the connector and twist it about a quarter turn then gently pull up it will come off.
*CAUTION*
Do not let the base backing plate slide off of the wire and fall down into the fender, you will never reach it and it will rattle forever.
9 Gently remove the parts and watch your hand on the metal as you pull back.
10 Installation is the reverse.

·
Registered
2001 SLK 320 6-spd
206 Posts
What size antenna do you have?
My car was pickeup in Germany and has their antenna (?) it is about 6-7 inches (15-18 cm)over the trunk, rather stubby. [:I]

·
Premium Member
SLK 230
1,498 Posts
"My car was pickeup in Germany and has their antenna (?) it is about 6-7 inches (15-18 cm)over the trunk, rather stubby"

Post a picture of it please.

·
Registered
2001 SLK 320 6-spd
206 Posts
I don't know how to include a pic, but click on my user name TLC 320 and you can just see it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts