Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
'88 190E 2.6
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I'm having issues with the power antenna on my car (bought 2 weeks ago). It's stuck halfway up. I know this because, looking at the telescoping parts, it doesn't seem to be at full extension. The switch does nothing, turning the radio on and off does nothing. I tried pulling, pushing, spraying WD-40 and then pulling and pushing - nothing works. Also, the rubber base of the antenna is cracking and peeling off.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
'01 SLK230,'93 190E 2.3, 1971 LS5 Corvette Convertible
2,225 Posts
mad1 - 4/13/2005 11:02 PM

Hi all

I'm having issues with the power antenna on my car (bought 2 weeks ago). It's stuck halfway up. I know this because, looking at the telescoping parts, it doesn't seem to be at full extension. The switch does nothing, turning the radio on and off does nothing. I tried pulling, pushing, spraying WD-40 and then pulling and pushing - nothing works. Also, the rubber base of the antenna is cracking and peeling off.

Any ideas?
Hi mad1,

First of all, do you hear the antenna motor operating?
When mine stopped working, I thought the whole unit was defective so I removed the entire unit and took it apart to see how it worked. I discovered that a plastic peg had broken off so I drilled a hole and installed a counter sunk stainless steel bolt cut to the same length as the plastic peg. This is the piece that is connected to the gear and when it brings the mast up or down it turns until it reaches a certain tension and then turns the motor off. I then reassembled the unit and it has been working fine for the past two years.

In your case, if you attempt to pull the antenna mast out and it does come out, you might discover that the plastic connected to the antenna mast is broken.
If you have a Performance Products parts catalog you will see the replacement mast with the plastic tail.

It seems like I'm always replacing parts on my Mercedes due to broken plastic or torn rubber; bushings, grommets, switches, etc.

Good Luck,

Dave

·
Registered
Classic 92 190E 2.6
4,235 Posts
So before you removed the antenna did you hear the motor?

My antenna stopped working also, which I think is very common problem just by noticing the number of 190E with the antenna up or half way up when parked.

I also plan to remove the unit and will try to repair, but if that is not possible I will not buy a new Hirschmann unit for $172.35, but will try to replace it with a unit sold by JCWhitney for around $80. Has anyone done that?

·
Registered
'01 SLK230,'93 190E 2.3, 1971 LS5 Corvette Convertible
2,225 Posts
bgoin,

Yes, I could hear the motor running but the antenna would not move...it was stuck mid way. Like I said in my post, I took it apart and I found a plastic peg inside and found where it should have been attached. I designed a counter sunk screw and nut...now that I think of it, I had to file the nut down to fit into the platic piece. When I plugged the antenna motor back in temporarily to test with the cover off, I could see the amount of tension that is put on the plastic peg, so it doesn't surprise me that these antennas fail because of this design.

Make sure you determine if it is just the mast that needs to be replaced. If so, it is a simple repair.

Good Luck,

Dave

·
Registered
1993 190 E 2.3
29 Posts
my antenna mast was stuck half way up as well...i could hear the motor running at the proper times...i replaced the mast, but it still didn't go up and down...anyway there is a total replacement that's always on sale on e-bay for 29.99 + shipping.

·
Registered
1993 190e-2.3
765 Posts
Mine finally craped out and would not go back up. I took it apart and fooled with it untill I got it fully extended. I reinstalled it and disconected the power to the motor so its up all the time. After 8.5 years of ownership, the radio reception is better than ever! Those stations that use to fade in and out now come in clear. I'm leaving mine alone.

·
Registered
'88 190E 2.6
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So the motor seems to work. When the car is off and I switch the radio off or on, I hear a motor running for a bit. However, the antenna switch doesn't do anything. I think the switch is busted and the motor hookup is wonky too. When I get time, I'll open it up and see what's going on in there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts