Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
92 600 SEL
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Have you guys had this problem where the antenna stays up after turning the car off? This just started happening on my 97 S600, any ideas?

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
2002 Black SL500, 2000 Azure blue SL500, 2005 Silver (A209) CLK500
1,001 Posts
Hi all,

Have you guys had this problem where the antenna stays up after turning the car off? This just started happening on my 97 S600, any ideas?

Thanks,
It's not retracting due to a number of reasons....best deal...just replace the entire antenna. Many on ebay for 100 bucks or so.....
Could be the mast (plastic teeth) are broken. Could be the belt. Could be the motor or circuit board. Could be the actual mast is binding....
I'd remove the mast and go from that point...meaning...remove it and try installing another.

·
W140 Moderator
"CHRIS" Merc 92 600SEL / Sold > 93 600SE / 93 S500 / 89 560SEL / 413CDI / B180-CDI /A170-CDI
7,641 Posts
Well it depends ,when you turn the Ignition off is there any Sound at all coming from the Antenna indicating that she try's to go down or any sound at all , if there is no Sound then it could be "maybe" just a fuse ,maybe the one at the Tuner may have something to do with it ,i cant remember but i think there are 2 fuses at the Tuner .
Test it before buying a new one ,it could also be just a loose cable .Start with the cheapest fix idee 1st .
As Benica says ,Buy a new one after all attempts Fail .
Ciao :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1998 S600 LWB 2011 GLK 350 4matic 2013 Sprinter 2500
412 Posts
If you are either poor or bored, you could save Benicas advice for the second option.
Your electrical connection is through a circuit board that clips onto the antenna assembly. Moisture can make it's way in, and cause havoc. Beyond that is the drive motor, belt, plastic gears,and whip. I'm betting on the water damage/corrosion.

·
Registered
1x 98 S500, 1x 07 S550
138 Posts
The plastic-tooth feed line on the bottom of the antenna shaft is broken. You can get them on Ebay for like $10. I usually buy 3-4 and keep them laying around. I'll get maybe a few years out of them before they break again.

Replacement is remarkably simple, maybe 60 seconds. Just unscrew and pull the old one out, and feed the new one back in rotating it 180deg so the teeth will engage. Screw it back in and you're done.

Regards

·
Registered
97 S500coupe. 97 sl320 2000 Corvette 1999 V star 650 Classic
701 Posts
Hi all,

Thanks,
Just a thought - do you have the built n phone? If so this could be the culprit. I still have the oem telephone n my 97 C140 and if the phone is powered to "on" this will activate the power antenna since it also functions as the telephone antenna in that system. I know because I turned mine n just for fun the other day. Yes it still works in terms of basic function even though it is obsolete for making phone calls. I leave it in place just to keep the car original.
Jan

·
Registered
1995 S320 SWB, 1997 S420 LWB
192 Posts
I've had to fix the antenna on both my cars. The teeth are very sturdy and don't break. Its the plastic piece holding them together that does. Just put some super glue to the piece and a screw to hold the wheels together. Unless you short circuited the board which is unlikely. K6JRF Auto Page

·
Registered
1997 S500V, 1999 S500 grand edition, 2006 s65 amg
7,356 Posts
diagnosing an antenna problem can vary from hard to simple. the best way to diagnose it is to disassemble and check the clutch spring(metal thing in between the two plastic gears) then make sure the gears are locked tight on to each other. the look at the motor belt those can rip. look at the condition of the mast's teeth(gears)

on my first antenna the electrical connector on the top had water going into since mine was missing the antenna seal. i cleaned it with alcohol and it worked :)

second antenna the gear broke and hirschmann still makes a repair kit so i fixed that.

also you can test the motor with a small 9v battery and some wires.

if the motor is good you can rebuild it for about $50 and it will work good.

forgot to added the electrical needs to work good and so does the motor or else that antenna is uses less

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Thats funny, this just happened to me this week! Turned on the radio, antenna went up...well it never went down again for the rest of the week. It doesnt make a sound at all. Took out the connection going to the antenna and it seemed wet so water played a cause here. The last time I was driving the car it was in a big rainstorm.

I am waiting to see if its gonna come back to life or is it dead?

·
3phase-4pole
4,882 Posts
99% of the time its the tabs that hold the spring in place. If you hear the motor running and the antenna isnt moving, then its the gear.

repair kits are $60 complete with the 2 gears, spring, belt.

·
Premium Member
'08 BMW 750LI, '10 Ford Expedition
387 Posts
I just rebuilt mine a month ago.

The motor would run when the car was turned on/off. So, of course I took the lazy way (did not do any further diagnosis) and bought a new OE mast. That was not the problem. The tit on the main plastic gear was broken, so I bought a rebuild kit. Works perfectly now.

I took pics from start to finish of the repair but haven't uploaded them to the site yet- if you need them drop me a line. If it's the mast, let me know and I will sell mine at a discount.

·
W140 Moderator
"CHRIS" Merc 92 600SEL / Sold > 93 600SE / 93 S500 / 89 560SEL / 413CDI / B180-CDI /A170-CDI
7,641 Posts
I just rebuilt mine a month ago.

The motor would run when the car was turned on/off. So, of course I took the lazy way (did not do any further diagnosis) and bought a new OE mast. That was not the problem. The tit on the main plastic gear was broken, so I bought a rebuild kit. Works perfectly now.

I took pics from start to finish of the repair but haven't uploaded them to the site yet- if you need them drop me a line. If it's the mast, let me know and I will sell mine at a discount.
Well done inovation560 , you should create a new thread of a do it yourself guide how to fix the antenna ,just like what you did ,pictures are verry important for that ,dont keep them for yourself ,i for example have never seen this done because i just buy a new one and dont bother with that little antenna fix but if you can save someone a little money here on the forum that is exellent ,you know what i mean .:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1997 S500V, 1999 S500 grand edition, 2006 s65 amg
7,356 Posts
its not hard rebuilding. i am going to repair on for a friends c280 and i can up load pics. same antenna different connector on top

·
Premium Member
'08 BMW 750LI, '10 Ford Expedition
387 Posts
Well done inovation560 , you should create a new thread of a do it yourself guide how to fix the antenna ,just like what you did ,pictures are verry important for that ,dont keep them for yourself ,i for example have never seen this done because i just buy a new one and dont bother with that little antenna fix but if you can save someone a little money here on the forum that is exellent ,you know what i mean .:thumbsup:
Posted to knowledge base

Mrs Innovation has taken the keys to the 140 as punishment for not sharing the info sooner:twak:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I know this is an old post but wanted to respond because this just happened on my 92 500SL. Check your fuses first (in the trunk). My antenna was stuck up, cleaned it and it wouldn’t go down. Sure enough, a blown fuse. Replaced the fuse and the antenna went down.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts