Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
Mercedes 1977 450SL
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
So I took the car out for a very long drive through the mountains and part way through I noticed my antenna was fully extended. When I turned off the radio 2 hours later I noticed it retracted to the foot up position. is it possible that when I was messing around with it that I may have moved the gears to an incorrect position? Can someone post a picture of where the plastic small gear should be positioned to be correct?

·
Registered
1986 560 SL
7,406 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Cushjbc,
thanks for providing the wiring diagram. I am attempting to install a 6000U-485 with the 5-pin plug together with the 4-pin antenna switch in a W113 and this will be very useful..
I have cut out the wiring just for the switch and the antenna, retyped Notes 1&2 since they are difficult to read and attached them here.
My problem is that I cannot read the letters for the wire colors that connect to pins 1-4 on the switch and 1-5 on the antenna plug. Can you provide those please?

Attachments

·
Registered
1973 450 SL
2,075 Posts
Can you provide those please?
I need to know what year and model you harvested that antenna, switch and wiring from - there is variation in wire insulator colors for some arbitrary reason. Also, curious what radio you are using in your 113. If it is an old Becker, I need to know if it is 2 piece (head unit & remote amplifier). Pictures would be helpful too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply. Not sure though whether I can answer all your questions satisfactorily since I don't have photos for all of them. Also I made a mistake, the antenna is a 482 not 485.
1. I bought the antenna and the plug on the internet and don't know the donor car.
Antenna: 6000U-482 #219540; switch: p/n 0008207010
2. The radio is a Becker Grand Prix stereo automatic with separate amplifier. Since it is in the car I can't take photos of the backside and the amplifier. However I believe that the two shown in the attachments are the correct ones. (I had another one earlier).
Let me know if you need more info.
Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Here are a photos showing the antenna switch with its mate (pigtail) and the wire colors on the pigtail. I am also adding a photo of the 5-pin plug on the 482 antenna and now I am even more confused. I believe that the wiring diagram posted by Mr. Cushman earlier is most likely not applicable for the antenna and switch I have.
So back to step 1:
1. Where does the trigger wire from the radio (+12V) go? Switch or antenna?
2. Where does the power wire from the battery go on the antenna plug? I assume it should be to one of the black wires but which one, pin 5 or pin 6?

Attachments

·
Registered
1973 450 SL
2,075 Posts
Pagodafan,

1. Where does the trigger wire from the radio (+12V) go? Switch or antenna?
Take a close look at the 4th picture in your post #26. Focus on the amplifier, immediately to the right of the speaker connections are 2 spade connections. Those are 12V power sources for accessories such as power antenna, Becker cassette deck or a weather/traffic radio receiver that was in vogue in Europe when these cars were produced. My original setup had a blue lead connected to one of those spades. That blue lead is the antenna trigger wire. My car was not originally optioned with a power antenna but it was pre-wired for one.

2. Where does the power wire from the battery go on the antenna plug? I assume it should be to one of the black wires but which one, pin 5 or pin 6?
From your second picture in your post #27 . . . see picture below of a test setup made on the same antenna and pin configuration.

Pin 1 - blue lead on antenna plug is 12V battery bus power. This lead enables the antenna to retract after the ignition is turned off.
Pin 2 - yellow / green on the antenna plug is switched 12V power. This lead is connected to pin 3 of the antenna switch (blue / grey lead from picture above)
Pin 3 - brown on the antenna plug is ground. Recommend finding the nearest factory ground point to your antenna location.
Pin 4 - not populated
Pin 5 - black on the antenna plug controls the partial up/down according to rocker switch. This lead should be connected to pin 2 of the antenna switch (black lead from picture above)
Pin 6 - black on the antenna plug controls the partial up/down according to rocker switch. This lead should be connected to pin 4 of the antenna switch which is the one slightly off grid serving as a locator for the orientation of the connector (blue lead from picture above)

The remaining pin 1 on the antenna switch (blue / red lead from picture above) is the antenna trigger that should be connected to the spade on your amplifier as discussed above.

May I suggest a bench test of your purchased equipment before installation, duplicating this setup. The green lead with bare conductor to the right side of this photo replicates the blue / red lead from your antenna switch connector. In my test, radio power was simulated by touching that bare lead to the large red alligator clip from my battery booster seen in the top right corner. Notice the red test lead setup for continuous 12V at pin 1 of the antenna plug.

When I took this picture, I was trying to figure out how this circuit operates to enable partial antenna extension with the 5 positions of the antenna rocker switch. Notes from that test are attached.

My wife really likes W113s. She says if you are totally frustrated by the detail I've typed to get your power antenna installed, I should bail you out of the problem by offering to buy your car for $100. ;) Best of luck getting this going. I chose a 6000EL for the same purpose.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thank you Brad, it finally clicked! :)
I could not figure out how to simulate the trigger signal from the radio but now I understand how you did it.
Next step is to test mine the same way, I'll keep you posted.

I have another question about the antenna switch. Mine is illuminated by two fiber optic cables (see attachment). Would you know where I can buy longer cables with the same metal end fitting?

Selling my car for $100? o_O
My wife would kill me!

Attachments

·
Registered
1973 450 SL
2,075 Posts
Would you know where I can buy longer cables with the same metal end fitting?
I rebuilt my fiber optic system using parts from the salvage yard. MB sedans sometimes have longer fiber optic lines and a 6 way distributor that holds a light socket from our consoles. I replaced the bulb in mine with a soft white LED - the only LED in my car but I like the results in the fiber optic lighting. I mounted this distributor on the lower dash frame just inboard of the glove box.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts