Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I first bought the car six months ago the antenna was stuck halfway up. Suddenly it retracted which is where it is now. There isn’t any power to the blue wire that serves as a trigger when the radio is on. I checked the fuse to the amplifier which (as I understand it) provides power. There is 12+ volts across a couple of the input wires. Is there a separate fuse coming off the head unit, maybe somewhere buried in the center console?

·
Registered
06'E350 wgn,05'E320 CDI,04'E320 wgn,85'300CD,67'230SL
291 Posts
Does your model have a dashboard 3-position antenna switch?

·
Registered
291 Posts
Hmmm....I wonder if you're referring to the air re-circulation button that has an LED lit when it's recirculating air. If memory serves me correctly.... 3-position rocker switch for antenna has down position, up (auto up and down with radio) and middle stops function. The only position that will operate the antenna UP is pressing the TOP of the switch. However, the 99 SL might not have this switch that was in earlier models.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There is a three position switch on the dashboard. When I pressed it earlier, an led would show briefly. Now there is no light
There is a three position switch on the dashboard. When I pressed it earlier, an led would show briefly. Now there is no light
The switch is on the lower part of the center console. It has a picture of the back of the car and what appears to be an antenna on it. It is normally in the center position. Pushing the upper portion (which may be the down switch) produced a light in the middle of the switch. That light blinked on momentarily earlier. It’s not coming on at all now

Hmmm....I wonder if you're referring to the air re-circulation button that has an LED lit when it's recirculating air. If memory serves me correctly.... 3-position rocker switch for antenna has down position, up (auto up and down with radio) and middle stops function. The only position that will operate the antenna UP is pressing the TOP of the switch. However, the 99 SL might not have this switch that was in earlier models.

·
Registered
291 Posts
News to me too.

I've never seen one in an R129....even in fully optioned SL600s.
Y'all are undoubtedly right; just 123's, 126's, 201's, 124's, and the older SL's: 107's. Maybe some others too. Too bad, makes it easier to install a new antenna mast.

·
Registered
Departed 1998 SL500 (and the Pano is in Bogota)
11,943 Posts
The antenna goes UP whenever the radio head unit is turned ON even when you are just playing CD/Cassette and not the radio as the same control wire sends the antenna UP and turns on the CD changer.
You can patch in a switch at that BLUE control wire near the antenna to bypass it.
When no signal in that control wire the antenna goes DOWN. Need to patch in at the antenna and not behind the radio head unit as same wire is also used by the CD changer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts