Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1987 560sl 100k miles, 1987 300sdl 195k miles
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive tested the motor and it works, and so does the mast. So it must be the switch. How do I get access to take the switch out and clean it?

·
Always Remembered RIP
1973 450 SLC AMG, 1995 Chevy Tahoe
3,381 Posts
If the switch is on the dash you use a small screw driver on the the sides squease in to the switch a little. and out it comes.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the connector is at the top of the plastic housing next to where the antenna comes out.

Is there anyway to clean the connector or should I just get a new one?

The switch isn't on the part of the dash with the a/c controls, its on a little strip above it where the vanity light switch is

·
It Is What It Is, Dude
22,841 Posts
MKUltra said:
The switch isn't on the part of the dash with the a/c controls

That's generally referred to as the center console.

ussun said:
If the switch is on the dash you use a small screw driver on the the sides squease in to the switch a little. and out it comes.

The switches along the horizontal dash trim strip pop out from the front as ussun describes.

·
Registered
1982 380SL / 1991 420SE / 1978 VW Westfalia Camper Bus.
388 Posts
I would pull the glove box liner, stick my hand around the corner and push the switch out from the back. I am afraid of chipping the clear coat on the wood trim using a hard metal tool. Our cars, like it or not, is more that 20 years of fun in the sun. The clear coat could be very brittle.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks joconab thats what i needed to know. I figured I could just pop it out, but I dont want to chip it

·
Premium Member
1986 560SL with M120 V12 Engine, 1988 560SL Stock
9,934 Posts
I would pull the glove box liner, stick my hand around the corner and push the switch out from the back. I am afraid of chipping the clear coat on the wood trim using a hard metal tool. Our cars, like it or not, is more that 20 years of fun in the sun. The clear coat could be very brittle.
Usually I'm able to just push the switch over to one side with my finger and get it to release the opposite side.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Ron,
Getting it back in place without some kind of resistance from the back side is hard. In my car the wiring is not long enough so once the switch was out the harness dropped back inside.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ron,
Getting it back in place without some kind of resistance from the back side is hard. In my car the wiring is not long enough so once the switch was out the harness dropped back inside.

:thumbsup: thank you good to know

is there anyway to give reputation on this forum?

·
Registered
388 Posts
MKUltra,
Do be careful when reaching behind for the switch. It is tight in there. My last attempt ended up with a broken rheostat which sits on the dash.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
its is a very tight space to get behind the dash.

Ok so I got the switch out, I opened it, cleaned it and put everything back together, but I think I put it back together wrong. This switch is a little more confusing then the window because it is a three way switch.

I dont know how to explain it, but Ill give it a shot.

The ball bearing sits in the middle, there are four contacts on the bottom, and there are two seperate brass contacts that go on top, with holes in the middle. Are they supposed to rock back and forth, or are they supposed to go upside down and make a little bridge? And are they supposed to go sideways to each contact or go the length of the switch?

Ive tried a few configurations and the switch doesn't seem to work right (the back and forth motion is screwed up) , but I dont want to keep opening it up I know Ill eventually break it

·
Registered
1980 450SL & 1988 560SL
1,667 Posts
At your request I went out and pull my switch apart and took pictures. Ain't i a nice guy? Nope, it's a spare. But, if you need the switch, you can have it. There I go being a nice guy again.
DSC01029.JPG

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thank you!! Im gonna go and try and put this one back together and if that fails I may have to take you up on that offer :)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
ook i went to install it and I figured out whats wrong with the whole system. I finally figured this out after I took apart the entire motor, just to figure out that it worked, soldered the whole thing back together, had to replace the rubber grommet, took apart the switch and cleaned it, and then I noticed this:

I found one more of the female part of the connector, but it had two wires going to one? There are four prongs on the switch so I would imagine there would be four female connectors, right?

·
Registered
1986 560SL, 2003 S600
16 Posts
Just did this, and taking out the glove box (4 small plastic rivets) and putting your hand behind the dash is the best way to do this. And, yes, there wires are not long enough to pull through the dash.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So if i am understanding this correctly, there are four prongs on the switch, but only three female parts on the connector?

which hole should the connector go into then, since there is two empty spots

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
So if i am understanding this correctly, there are four prongs on the switch, but only three female parts on the connector?

which hole should the connector go into then, since there is two empty spots
Could be a common ground, or a common power, or a connection in series(sic).
Don't make me consult the schematic.:)
It's too late for that today.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
maybe tommorow??? :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts