Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently broke antenna mast, looking for some instructions on how to replace. Any guidance would be appreciated. Motor still works.

·
Registered
97SL500R129, 01ML320W163, 94E320W124 & 93500EW124
2,921 Posts
You need to open the antenna motor (wheel/reel) cover and remove the old mast. The mast is held by toothed nylon cord attached (wound) around a wheel (reel). You install the new mast in its extended state to be able to attach the end of the nylon cord to the wheel (reel). Bolt up the motor/reel enclosure and apply 12 volt to retract the mast and mount it back to the car.

·
Registered
Sold1990 500sl - 1992 300sl 1999 sl 500
1,545 Posts
Recently broke antenna mast, looking for some instructions on how to replace. Any guidance would be appreciated. Motor still works.
The new mast should come with instructions,I did both of mine, first take off the black plastic mast cover on the outside of the car,then turn the radio on and the mast should wind itself out with a little help,then the toothed cord at the end of the new one is threaded in with the teeth faced down I think ,turn the radio off and it should take up all the slack,refit the cover job done :thumbsup:

·
Registered
R129 sl320 '99 / W201 190E '90
1,016 Posts
Radio off - loosen the bolt on the exterior of the car 10mm or 13mm.
If you have some mast protruding, since it is broken.
Is the metal of the mast broken or just stucor bent.

If you have some metal protruding straight out of the hole - Get someone to turn on the radio so the antenna motor wants the mast to extend while you stand at the mast and grip it and hold firmly pulling it out as it extends until you see the white plastic toothed cable and keep gently firmly pulling until the whole lot comes out - ie antenna with 1m white cable. Note the direction the teeth on the white plastic cable are faced.
New antenna - Radio still on - face the teeth in the correct direction and hold the plastic cable firmly pushing into the hole (into the top of the motor). Get someone to turn on the radio so the motor wants to pull in and wind up the plastic cable, and firmly guide the plastic cable into the hole and line up the metal of the antenna mast. Tighten the new bolt.

Don't scratch the paint with the antenna. dont scratch the antenna bolt with the spanner if it is black. Satisfying job for me. There is a lot written on on the forum about antenna masts.
I love this forum!!

Regards,
Darragh.

·
Registered
E350 Sport
1,454 Posts
be careful on what mast you get.

i had bad luck with two on ebay. in the pic you can see a bushing at the bottom of the mast.

the bushing is too big and would't seat properly so when the fiber cable threaded in, the cable separated from the mast on both replacement masts.

Attachments

·
Registered
90 560sec, 90 560sel, 92 500sl, 94 e420, 13 e350
284 Posts
I am dealing with the similar issue on my 94 E420, the problem is the motor does not even run after I have to close my sunroof manually from the trunk. Did I accidentally short circuit something and burn either the antenna motor or circuit board inside the antenna? Is this possible? How can I find out the problem next?

·
Banned
Y2K SL500 Silver
8,660 Posts

i had bad luck with two on ebay. in the pic you can see a bushing at the bottom of the mast.

the bushing is too big and would't seat properly so when the fiber cable threaded in, the cable separated from the mast on both replacement masts.
bearone2, what was the answer for buying the correct mast?

Thanks in advance, Lynn

·
Registered
2007 CLS 550, 1998 Harley Road King, 2011 F-150 EcoBoost, '65 Shelby Cobra
978 Posts
bearone2, what was the answer for buying the correct mast?

Thanks in advance, Lynn
Lynn,
I must have just been extremely lucky. I replaced my mast two or three times. Each time, my ebay mast fit ok. I guess it's just the luck of the draw. I believe the ones I bought at least said they were for an SL500 (R129).

·
Banned
Y2K SL500 Silver
8,660 Posts
I must have just been extremely lucky. I replaced my mast two or three times. Each time, my eBay mast fit ok. I guess it's just the luck of the draw. I believe the ones I bought at least said they were for an SL500 (R129).
I bought a Power Antenna Mast for a 2000 SL500 | eBay and found the correct length of the nylon cable but the mast does not fit with the entrance to the top of the power motor.

Attachments

·
Banned
Y2K SL500 Silver
8,660 Posts

the bushing is too big and wouldn't seat properly so when the fiber cable threaded in, the cable separated from the mast on both replacement masts.
+1, me too.

·
Greek God of the R129
SL500-500SEL-190E
8,391 Posts
Try before to put the plastic rope in hot water.
It may need softening.
That is as long and the teeth are the same with the old.

Regards,
aam.

·
Registered
2007 CLS 550, 1998 Harley Road King, 2011 F-150 EcoBoost, '65 Shelby Cobra
978 Posts

·
Banned
Y2K SL500 Silver
8,660 Posts
Probably everybody's best bet. :thumbsup:
Yea, Autohauaz and Amazon sell a after market

URO p/n 1408270001 and MEYLE p/n 1408270001 .

eBay has Chinese versions that don't fit for $13.00 w/ ship but by the time you send it back for a refund your out $1-$2 in return shipping costs.

·
Registered
1995 SL320
446 Posts
I think i goofed up my power antenna. It Was working fine, but I thought it needed some love. I pulled mine apart and cleaned all the trash and dried up grease. After it was squeaky clean, I relubed it and cycled the antenna to the radio ON (antenna up position) I fed the antenna back in so it was touching the gears, then switched it off. No problem, it spooled right up fully and stopped. Flip radio back on and it extended too far, by about 3 inches. Any ideas how to teach this thing when to stop extending? It's done this 3 times to me now. I didnt change any parts. Thanks guys.

·
Banned
Y2K SL500 Silver
8,660 Posts
Flip radio back on and it extended too far, by about 3 inches. Any ideas how to teach this thing when to stop extending? It's done this 3 times to me now.
Maybe it wasn't right before you starting working on it???? I recently renewed my mast and I'm unable to understand how you can extend your mast to far, by about 3"'.

Since mine has a STOP. What makes you think yours is 3'' longer than the STOP?

If your still not satisfied then cycle the mast several more times and if you are unhappy, remove it, and reinstall it.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts