Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1967 W113 250SL, 1999 W210 E300, W126 420SEL, 1986 e28 535i
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

After trying to search for an answer to my problem, I have come up with nothing.

I recently purchased a brand new Hirschmann 2040 and I'm having some trouble installing it and getting it to work right. After I purchased the car close to a month ago, I immediately took the original, seized Hirschmann out and replaced it with another 2040 which my uncle had as a spare for whichever one of his e28's needed it. My uncle's antenna was installed in under an hour and I ran into no problems.

I purchased my own, therefore I could take his out to return to him. However, while trying to install this exact same model, I ran into some problems. After installing the antenna the way I had installed the other, following all guidelines for proper installation, nothing. The antenna does not even try to extend.

Also, the interior lights, both front and rear, are acting up now as well. I read in another thread that someone else had a similar problem, with the interior lights acting up and no luck with the antenna, but with no solution.

Any help would greatly be appreciated. I'm hoping there's just some silly step that I missed or did not complete correctly.

Thanks in advance,

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
For what it's worth, the trunk light will also not work when the trunk is opened, and I just realized that every door that is not being locked directly by the key; this means neither back door, the trunk as well as the fuel door, and the opposite front door from the one in which I used to lock the car will lock. Maybe it's just a fuse or something along those lines.

Any help appreciated,

·
Mercedes
9,043 Posts
That model Hirschmann is junk. Sorry, but I too learned the hard way on my old 300SEL. I believe they're made in China, too... far cry from the original German-made Hirschmann units that were made of good quality.

For the price of a new 2040 model (which is basically a cheap universal unit), you could buy a kit to rebuild the original 6000EL. Rebuilding them is not too difficult, but if the motor is burned.. that's a different story.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
But as far as the other repercussions on the attempted install are concerned, do you think it would have anything to do with fuses. I'm going to check out the fuse box later but just curious as to if you knew of anything along these lines.

Thanks,

·
Registered
1974 450 SEL Champagne Beige Metallic(Sold); 1986 560 SEL Champagne Metallic
181 Posts
If you haven't already done so, change out all your original "silver" fuses for the copper type fuses to eliminate microscopic corrosion at the fuse box terminals. Also when ever doing any type of electrical work, remove the negative battery cable. The slightest touch of a wire to ground or a body panel will blow fuses. I agree with Grillz, rebuilding the German unit is a far better choice, as rebuilding/repair is what they were designed for. Most modern parts are considered disposable! Cheers, Ron

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks all, ended up just being a fuse. I had typed a longer message with a few more questions but accidentally refreshed it so im going to forget about them for now. Bottom line: the "Hirschmann" is working essentially flawlessy at the moment, so im happynto have spent $50 for it. This brings up another great point: if any members here are looking for a Hirschmann 2040, i recommend this guy:

NEW Hirschmann HIT AUTA 2040 Automatic Chrome Mast Motorized Power Radio Antenna | eBay

Great seller, all antenna setups are brand new. Shipped coast to coast in two days! For when this auction has been gone for a while and people view this thread a long time from now, the seller is "Woodyscustomshop" specializes in car audio, many german car makes, seems to be especially aimed at Porsche.

Anyways, thanks again fellas. Your wealth of knowledge is not unrecognized and is appreciated much.

Joe Daddio

1 - 6 of 6 Posts