Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
W124
4,695 Posts
Hello,

My mask does not come down. It's up all the way. I tried to un-bolt the retaining nut but it stucks with the mask. How do I remove the nut so I can remove the entire assembly out for troubleshooting. I may need to replace the mask eventually. Thanks.
If I understand your situation correctly, you have two choices. Either slide the antenna out of the trunk with the mast extended. (this isn't so easy depending on how far the mast is up) Or you pull the mast out of the antenna and remove the motor by itself.

·
Registered
1991 CE300
22 Posts
Thanks for a quick response about removing the mask. Just to be sure I understand your instruction. Do I just pull the mask out with everything is still in the car? Then I remove the antenna motor from inside the trunk. Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
1993 300CE Cabriolet (mine) ; 1994 E320 Wagon (wife's) ; 1990 Benz 300E 2.6 (son's)
6,752 Posts
that top nut should come off, then you can pull the mast itself straight up and out, complete with as much of the 'tail' as you can get. once the mast is off, THEN you can remove the motor from the bottom, replace the grommet pieces if they need replacing, disassemble the motor 'snail' and extract any remaining bits of old mast tail, clean and grease it, reassemble motor/snail assembly, reinstall, then follow the instructions on installing a new mast.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ok, the process you laid out is really clear (nice job) and I'm pushing from the outside in but what if I can't get the base grommet to push in?
Please help.

·
Registered
W124
4,695 Posts
If you have the early two part assembly it goes in by itself (no antenna). Make sure you have the correct part for your application.

·
Registered
254 Posts
once again the member gsxr comes through with the right information to help me identify the parts i need
as the owner of a 1991 300e with the hirschmann ke6000 type antenna (there is actually a plug 'adapter' which converts the standard 4-pin plug into the type of plug that the 6000 antenna takes which clips onto the aluminum shaft of my antenna) I needed the large and fat type of grommet and seal. this member has also provided other useful information to me on the 500 ecstasy website and other times when i've come across his posts when looking for specialized info

thanks,

sev

·
Registered
1989 560SEC
70 Posts
GSXR is a world guru of the 124 chassis and his knowledge and experience far surpass anyone else on this forum.

Hopefully you have seen his site at w124performance.com as well.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts