Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1989 W124 300E
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched the forum and saw a great post where the pics were deleted, anyhow, I had a body shop replace the outer antenna grommet (against the body) but its not seated properly. It's not against the body, but is away from the body about 1/16". I can grab the antenna and grommet from outside the car and wiggle the whole thing. Something is not right... can someone please post pics or a do it yourself? This has to be simple and its really burning me up.

·
Premium Member
About a dozen 1988, 1989, 1990, and 1991 sedans, wagons, 4Matics and 1 coupe
5,454 Posts
Getting the antenna installed correctly is a bit tricky.

From what I remember doing on my 88 the steps are:

1) remove antenna assembly mounting screw and lower whole assembly a couple of inches
2) install *inner* grommet in body opening, making sure that the grommet inner and outer lips are, well, inside and outside the body
3) lube the little black plastic bulge at the top of the antenna mast tube
4) slide antenna assembly up into the grommet and the black plastic bulge will seat inside the inner grommet, locking the grommet in place
5) install antenna mounting screw
6) install antenna outer grommet over inner grommet, making sure that the lip inside the grommet fits into the groove in the inner grommet

You *may* be able to install both the inner and outer grommets while the antenna assembly is lowered into the body. I seem to remember thinking it would have been easier that way but, with the antenna already installed, I wasn't going to pull it out and try again just to find out.

You'll never get the inner grommet installed properly unless you drop the antenna assembly a bit.

Attachments

·
Registered
1988 "Zender" 300CE Coupe, 2009 Renault Koleos, 2007 Kia Rio Sport
3,189 Posts

1) remove antenna assembly mounting screw and lower whole assembly a couple of inches
2) install *inner* grommet in body opening, making sure that the grommet inner and outer lips are, well, inside and outside the body
4) slide antenna assembly up into the grommet and the black plastic bulge will seat inside the inner grommet, locking the grommet in place
6) install antenna outer grommet over inner grommet, making sure that the lip inside the grommet fits into the groove in the inner grommet

You *may* be able to install both the inner and outer grommets while the antenna assembly is lowered into the body. I seem to remember thinking it would have been easier that way but, with the antenna already installed, I wasn't going to pull it out and try again just to find out.

You'll never get the inner grommet installed properly unless you drop the antenna assembly a bit.
LOL Great instructions Auggie ! (seriously)

Now tell me who's on first ? what's on second ? stuffed if I know is on third ?

·
Registered
1988 300e
66 Posts
I just used these instructions to do mine today. They are basically right on. The hardest part(for me) was removing the inner plastic trim that covers everything.:rolleyes:
I had attempted to buy one on ebay(for my '88) but the nut wasn't the correct size. Then I went to the dealership and bought one so I'd know it'd fit. Its $45 from a dealership. I also got a new grommet and its outer covering due the original being cracked.

Part numbers:
antenna=201-827-00-01
grommet=124-827-06-98
outer covering=124-827-05-98

·
Registered
86 300e Anke
1,252 Posts
NOW I wish I hadnt 'fiddled with' the outer piece I just got. :crybaby2:
I shoulda known Id have to pull the trunk apart to do it right... since there doesnt seem to be any 'inner' grommet there.
I was concerned that it didnt have an original antenna but mine looks like the pic except for the black 'ring' instead of chrome...

So... back to benz for new stuff... and a complete dismemberment!:rolleyes:

Actually a minor thing, but I dont like it rattling back in the corner when Im sitting still.:cool:

:D

·
Registered
W124
4,695 Posts
There are at least two different sets of grommets. Somewhere between '88 and '89 they angled the antenna a bit more, requiring a new grommet. If your parts guy doesn't know this, you might not get the right part. They are cheap from the dealer so bring your VIN to your M/B dealer or contact one of the dealers who advertise nationwide shipping.

·
Registered
1987 300E, 1955 Plymouth Belvedere, 2005 Silverado 4x4
963 Posts
Here is a side by side comparison of the two types of seal sets used on our cars. They look pretty similar until you see them together. The unmounted set came from Autohaus but were too small for my car so I ordered from the dealer by VIN# and they also got me a small set. I finally looked closely at the old inner seal and noticed it had a different part# so I took it with me back to the dealer and they were able to get me the correct set. Price was about the same from Autohaus and the dealer. How often does that happen! Augapfel's instructions are spot-on, only takes a couple of minutes to change.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
About a dozen 1988, 1989, 1990, and 1991 sedans, wagons, 4Matics and 1 coupe
5,454 Posts
^

This is good info. I didn't know about the different styles of antenna grommets.

I did notice that some cars seemed to have more sharply raked antennas but I never saw the two styles side by side to compare them. Now I know that I wasn't seeing things.

·
Registered
86 300e Anke
1,252 Posts
Here is a side by side comparison of the two types of seal sets used on our cars. They look pretty similar until you see them together. The unmounted set came from Autohaus but were too small for my car so I ordered from the dealer by VIN# and they also got me a small set. I finally looked closely at the old inner seal and noticed it had a different part# so I took it with me back to the dealer and they were able to get me the correct set. Price was about the same from Autohaus and the dealer. How often does that happen! Augapfel's instructions are spot-on, only takes a couple of minutes to change.
If I read the pics properly....
Does the 2-piece setup mean that the upper section snaps into the lower?

Problematic for me... if the lower piece is not there.:eek:
Definately looking into a new 'set'!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1987 300E, 1955 Plymouth Belvedere, 2005 Silverado 4x4
963 Posts
You got it. when you drop the antenna out of the fender hole, you can fit the inner piece to the fender. the fender sheetmetal fits in the diagonal groove, it's pretty intuitive when you actually do it. there's a bulged area on the antenna shaft that expands and tightens the inner piece to the fender when you reinstall the antenna. Then just snap the outer seal onto the inner seal.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Just doing mine - Hirschmann Parts & Instructions

Hi Chaps
Ressurrected this post because I am just about to do mine.
The outer casing on mine had cracked through on one side and the inner top section had demolished itself.

So once again I went to "THE (HIRSCH)MAN HIMSELF" Malcom Stalley in the UK who previously supplied me with a new Hirschmann mast.

New grommet shipped to OZ was under $20 for Original Hirschmann parts !

IMG_1260.JPG
IMG_1261.JPG
IMG_1262.JPG
IMG_1263.JPG

And finally the instructions on how to do it !

IMG_1264.JPG

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
You've read the post now see the movie... errr the stills !

Okay I groan and grizzle about documenting things so in my moment of madness I photographed the not so difficult process of replacing the antenna grommet on the 1988 300CE.
As mentioned in earlier posts there are 2 distinct shapes, early 88 the antenna was more upright than on mine which extends on a greater angle giving the sporty look.
If your in doubt about which one fits your car search eBay for Malcom Stalley's wonderful car masts UK shop.car-masts-uk-shop items - Get great deals on Mast, Aerial items on eBay Stores!
If you can't see it currently advertised shoot him an email.
I've said it before and yes I always give the man a big plug - what he doesn't know about Hirschmann antennas in Mercedes W124's ain't worth knowin !

Okay down to business.

1. The Good, the Bad and the Plain Ugly
The deterioration on my antenna grommet was quite sudden and rather drastic. It looked fine when I changed the mast head not 6 months ago. But suddenly, the outer casing cracked and the inner rubber disintegrated thus....
IMG_1265.JPG

2. Locate and Remove any Antenna Motor Mounting Screws inside the Trunk
In my case 1 screw with a washer. Flat blade screwdriver is all that is needed.
The mounting hole is on the trunk sub-frame towards the bottom of the motor on a bracket attached to the housing.
IMG_1266.JPG

3. Remove the Antenna Assembly down and out of the grommet.
Pull the motor housing gently down out of the grommet.
No need to disconnect cables but make sure you support the assembly so no wiring is strained or damaged.
There is no need to remove the assembly from the trunk.
IMG_1267.JPG IMG_1268.JPG

4. Remove the old grommet pushing from inside the trunk and it should come out easily.
Straightforward and hard to do with one hand holding a camera !
IMG_1269.JPG

5. Clean any remnants from fender hole then insert the base grommet from OUTSIDE.
There was some sticky bits still left on the fender, small clean rag and non abrasive cleanser got rid of them easily.
Make sure you put the base grommet into position from OUTSIDE the fender.
You will see there is a thin lip on the new grommet in which the "fender panel" is designed to sit in and create a weatherproof seal.
IMG_1270.JPG

6. Insert the antenna into the grommet from inside the trunk.
Now the grunt and groan part. You need to manouever the antenna motor inside the trunk and get the antenna mast to line up with the grommet.
At first it feels like the antenna will not go any further up into the new grommet but hold the grommet on the outside and push from underneath.
The antenna masthead will click into position inside the new grommet with some persuasion.
IMG_1271.JPG

7. Replace the antenna motor mounting screw/s inside the trunk.
DO IT NOW in case the motor drops back out (unlikely but you never know !)

8. Place the exterior antenna cover grommet over the outside assembly.
The outside cover is designed to nip into place and is quite malleable and all you need do is work the outside until it all sides are snuggled into the mounting groove on the base grommet. A small amount of adhesive could be used if required to ensure it doesn't come off.
IMG_1274.JPG

I will be sure to mention Malcom in my Oscar acceptance speech ! :bowdown:

·
Registered
1995 E320 sedan, 1991 Porsche 964, 2004 Porsche 986
450 Posts
Good timing with this thread, as I just picked up a new inner/outer grommet set from the local MB dealer on Friday. :D

·
Registered
Buncha W124's
2,039 Posts
Apparently the W124 antennas on 1992-1993 models only have a different mounting arrangement and grommet compared to the 90-91 and 94-95 design. The 92-93 has a metal locknut on top of the plastic/rubber grommet and a thin plastic seal that goes against the paint. The portion under the fender is a metal piece that slides onto the antenna (not plastic). It looks EXACTLY as shown in the photos in post #1.

Mercedes apparently only sells the 92-93 grommets as part of a higher level assembly for $74 list (124-820-56-75), which is crazy when all I need is $5 worth of grommets. The Mercedes part number on the large grommet I need is 124-823-03-30 with Hirschmann (?) number 722-861. For the thin plastic seal, there is no Mercedes number, but it has Hirschmann number 722-410. (UPDATE: The new kit, 124-820-56-75, has different part numbers on the same pieces. Large piece is 124-823-03-30 / 723-008, small piece is 124-823-09-82 / 723-010. The metal collar underneath is 124-823-05-70 / 723-009).

Does anyone know where I could buy these separately? I've searched via Google and all I can find are the wrong parts, everyone is selling the 90-91 and 94-95 grommets, which do not work... these are MB numbers 124-827-07-98 and 124-827-08-98 as seen in post #3 above. The lower section (124-827-07-98) will not physically fit on the 92-93 antenna.

UPDATE: The early 94 models used the funky 92-93 grommets... the change occured in early/mid 1994 (USA model year) production. The EPC says the chassis break point was C083747 / C083748. Also, it seems the 92-93 threaded-style antenna grommets are not available, anywhere, period, besides the overpriced kit from Mercedes (124-820-56-75).

:(

·
Registered
Buncha W124's
2,039 Posts

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 250 D
2 Posts
Hi !
I'm from India and would like to procure an antenna grommet for my car - VIN number is WDB 124 1266 C280550. May I request members on this forum help me to contact a retailer who will reliably mail the replacement part to me in India.
Thanks.

·
Registered
1991 CE300
22 Posts
Antenna Mask Retaining Nut

Hello,

My mask does not come down. It's up all the way. I tried to un-bolt the retaining nut but it stucks with the mask. How do I remove the nut so I can remove the entire assembly out for troubleshooting. I may need to replace the mask eventually. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts