Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to Embassy Car Wash on 29 in Fairfax (got a flyer in mail, so I thought I try it), this is full service, so I thought it was touchless. But no, it was "brushless", so the machine ripped off my radio antenna. The manager said I should have screwed it off first. Can it be screwed off? In the 3 years that I owned this car I never screwed it off.

Now I have a hole in the fender panel [V] . They couldn't even find the antenna.

·
Registered
SLK32, ML430
6,349 Posts
That sucks. Sorry to hear about the car.

I hate to say it but the manager it correct. You should have unscrewed the antenna. The top piece unscrews from the base.

·
Registered
2001 SLK 230
1,226 Posts
Mik - 5/11/2005 7:08 PM

Can it be screwed off? In the 3 years that I owned this car I never screwed it off.

dude are you kidding me...... Even the bum on the street knows to take the thing off before entering a car wash. Did you miss that lesson in school?

·
Registered
98 SLK 230 E300 TD;
15 Posts
Here is your chance to get rid of the antenna permanetly and go for a mini (almost flat) satellite antenna which is magnetic. If you will recall, the 98SLK had no external antenna and poor reception, which forced us to purchase XM radio, if we wanted to listen to the radio. Car looks better without the cheap fix antenna MB devised in 99. And satellite radio (at least here in the flatlands of Florida) is great! [8D]

·
Registered
1999 SLK 230- RED
461 Posts
Mik - 5/11/2005 7:08 PM

The manager said I should have screwed it off first. Can it be screwed off? In the 3 years that I owned this car I never screwed it off.

Now I have a hole in the fender panel [V] . They couldn't even find the antenna.
The manager was wrong. If you screw off the antennae on the SLK you are taking the mounting base off of the car and the coax cable that services it. If the coax falls into the trunk, you might just have hell retreving it. Also, if the little rubber gasket at the antennae base is lost, you are out a trip to the dealer for that also. And for the others that claim I'm an idiot for getting a carwash to do the car, sorry folks, but I had to attend a funeral on short notice. Don't ask why, I don't know, but it is a sign of respect for the departed in this part of the world if you come in a cleaned up car and lookin your best, shaved, bathed, hair combed,shoes shined,and all.

Regards

·
Registered
2001 SLK 320 6-spd
206 Posts
If it is a Full Service, don't they prep the car first? When I take my other car to a car wash they remove the antenna after the inside vac/floor mats, etc...

Sorry to hear this happened. [:(] This is the first time I have ever heard of this happening.

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
3,560 Posts
Hey guys, show some respect. Name calling someone 'stupid' on this forum is definitely rude. This kind of behaviour never happened a year or two ago.

For shame [:(!]

Also, depending on the installation of the antenna, it might even have been glued on. But not everyone knows every nook and cranny of their car, and this might not be something that everyone knows. After all, the SLK/SL antenna is just a small stub and one might not always think that it'll just "rip off".

Anyway, two things to learn from this:
1) always wash your car yourself
2) don't take it as an excuse from the manager of the car wash that YOU should have removed the antenna. THEY are washing cars for a living and should very well know that the first thing they should have told you, is to remove the antenna, just in case. Or they could have done it themselves, it's their job.

·
Registered
2002 SLK32AMG,1995 E320 Cab 1990 300CE(Gone).2002 ML320 (Gone)
477 Posts
The SLK comes with a special tool to remove the antenna - for those who use car washes !
The tool looks like a black poker chip with a hole in it.
I've never used it but I've still got it in the glove box.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Shmer_cedes - 5/12/2005 2:05 AM

All i have to say is your a fucking idiot. You shouldn't even be bringing it through a car wash. Have some pride in washing your own car.[^]
What kind of a statement is that?? I respect people who choose to wash their cars themselves, but I don't have the time for that. My car is black and needs to be washed all the time.

·
Registered
slk
187 Posts

All i have to say is your a fucking idiot. You shouldn't even be bringing it through a car wash. Have some pride in washing your own car.[^]
Hey asshole, what made you an asshole? You don't make mistakes? Does this name calling get rid of your frustrations b/c everyone in your life called you a fucking idiot? Seriously, get real, get lost.

·
Registered
1999 SLK 230
64 Posts
slknow - 5/12/2005 2:23 PM

Hey asshole, what made you an asshole? You don't make mistakes? Does this name calling get rid of your frustrations b/c everyone in your life called you a fucking idiot? Seriously, get real, get lost.
And... if you're going to call someone an idiot, at least use proper English. It's "you're" not YOUR.

·
Registered
01 SLK 320 MT6
4,477 Posts
did carwash had a sign "take your antenna off bla-bla-bla" before you pay ? If not - you can win it in court - if you want to go to extreme, but i just suggest getting a replacement.

·
Registered
2001 SLK 230
1,226 Posts
I am not one to put someone down. But if you can without making a face look me in the eyes and tell me youve never heard of or took your antenna off before entering a car wash you deserve what you got. Its one thing if you forgot, hell even if you didnt think it would matter and left it on. But for you to say you have never heard of taking a antenna off prior to a car wash then yes. You are rendered retarded in my book.

Dont fight with retards they will drag you down to their level and win from experience.

--Deathy

·
Registered
2003 SLK230 Silver
28 Posts
People, people, people, can't we all just get along. Stop the name calling. We are talking about expensive classy cars. Let's not degrade them by trash talking online. If you want to slam someone for their lack of car care knowledge, then go to the "beatup pickup forum".

·
Registered
SLK 230
1,007 Posts
calm down

COME ON GUYS... everyone makes mistakes.... stop the slagging off eh...

I agree with one of Shini's quotes....

don't take it as an excuse from the manager of the car wash that YOU should have removed the antenna. THEY are washing cars for a living and should very well know that the first thing they should have told you, is to remove the antenna, just in case. Or they could have done it themselves, it's their job.

·
Premium Member
1999 SLK230 Sport
2,713 Posts
An interesting tidbit...the following is a direct quote from Page 232 of the Owners Manual

"Antenna

To prevent damage or diminished radio reception after reinstallation, the non-retractable antenna should not be removed. The antenna is automatic car-wash safe."
[:0]

I guess they didn't field test it LOL!!

·
Premium Member
1999 SLK230 Sport
2,713 Posts
Shmer_cedes - 5/12/2005 3:12 PM

Wow! Im hurt. All I was saying is dont be retarded. Mabey you should spend more time washing your car instead of sharing your fuck-ups on the computer. If you are going to mess up your car do it DRIFT!
[8][8][8][8][8][8][8][8][8][8][8][8][8][8][8][8]
Dude....don't embarrass yourself. If you are going to call someone else retarded, then you should be able to spell simple words like MAYBE

1 - 20 of 30 Posts