Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do I find the antenna amplifier in a 1989 420 SEL? Is there any way other than swapping it out for a known good one to test it?<br> Thanks

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Are you sure that you have an antenna amplifier? You probably have a power mast antenna. I'm not aware of an amplifier being used with a power mast. All of the newer models, with the hidden antenna systems incorperated on the rear window have amplifiers. One check is to disconnect the cable from the antenna and see if the reception gets any worse. If it doesn't, you don't have a good connection from the radio to the antenna. If you can disconnect it at both ends, you can check the cable for continuity (provided its doesn't go to an amplifer). Could be that you just have a bad connection somewhere. Sometimes you start to get some rust between the sheet metal and the antenna. That's another thing to check. No two models are alike. Antenna performance can vary quite a bit from model to model. So, you have to be carefull when comparing vehicles.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. No, I am not sure that I have an amplifier, but it was suggested elsehwere that I check it out. While I am waiting for my manual set to arrive in the mail, I am forced to ask for help on these types of questions. Sorry for the stupid question.<br> <br> spw

1 - 4 of 4 Posts