Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1981 230 G
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

just purchased an 85 380 sl. the po removed the original radio and power antenna. now i have a radio with cd player and manual antenna.

but.. the antenna is not hooked up as the wire that runs to the trunk (factory, i would presume) does not hook into the aftermarket antenna.

is there an adpater i can buy? where would i get one? any other way to "adapt" the antenna?

i would assume the radio in the front is not hooked to the antenna either (the radio won't play due to lack of signal)
does anyone know if the front of the factory cable was regular, and might be plugged into the radio??? , or would the po have left it unplugged as well if the front cable was the MB type plug..

ie, i hate to pul the radio if i do not have to.

my thought is get the back antenna working and then check to see if i get a signal.

thanks

rick

·
Registered
'72 350 SL
375 Posts
sluggoG said:
is there an adpater i can buy? where would i get one? any other way to "adapt" the antenna?
When I installed a new stereo I bought a small adaptor so I could fit the antenna cable into the back. This cable ran to the trunk to the power antenna.

As it turned out, the stereo could take that older style antenna as well as the newer style you see these days.

I can't confirm the original antenna cable was factory, but the jack on the end was this style:

Hope this might hope some way!

·
Registered
1981 230 G
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks.

where did you buy the adaptor? it seems to me the plug going into the new antenna and the male plug from the factory wire are different configurations.

thanks again

·
Registered
'72 350 SL
375 Posts
Well I bought my adaptor in Dublin (!), but I've seen them in large motor-stores where they sell audio equipment and also in electronics stores. They seem to make adaptors for every conceivable connection.

Like I mentioned, I bought the adaptor to fit the antenna to a brand new stereo and then discovered the port at the back of the stereo was removable, revealing a slot that fitted the old style antenna.

I'm talking euro-style connections here so I hope I haven't mislead us both.
Some of the other guys here should know.

·
Forum Administrator , RC Colas® & Moon Pies®
1981 380SL 151K: 2005 S500 116K
39,257 Posts
Going in a slightly different direction, is there an aftermarket power antenna that can replace the Hirschmann? Some suppliers show this thing that looks like you bypass the retractable antenna but I would prefer one that works as it's supposed to without the Hirschmann failure issues.

·
Premium Member
2012 C300 Sport 4Matic and 2003 CLK430 Cabrio
1,919 Posts
I just put XM in my wifes car and had the same issue. Went to Best Buy and the had the adapter for $10.00. This will work.:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
2010 Mercury Milan Hybrid, 1993 BMW 325i convertible
6,077 Posts
Digmenow said:
Going in a slightly different direction, is there an aftermarket power antenna that can replace the Hirschmann?
So is my antenna just a fluke? I paid $16 for a new mast, installed it, and it's worked flawlessly ever since. If it breaks again, I'll fork out another $16.

Isn't that why they designed it with a replaceable mast?

·
Forum Administrator , RC Colas® & Moon Pies®
1981 380SL 151K: 2005 S500 116K
39,257 Posts
The motor doesn't even run in mine or I'd put a new mast in, in a heartbeat.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts