Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
'84 300DT, '97 S320
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '84 300D. Where do you buy a rear driveshaft for a 2-piece shaft ? I've tried several of the regular and not-so-regular web sites, and none sell the u-joint nor the shaft. I'll call the dealer tomorrow.

I have my driveshafts removed, because the front disc and center support have some cracks in the rubber. There's also some bad vibration at 55 mph on up...that's what made me inspect underneath.

I also noticed that both axes of the u-joint have a notched feel pretty close to their centering points. I suppose at various shaft rpm's this could cause some vibrations. The u-joint could even have been the source of the center support getting cracked...that and age. It's more than likely the original, because I bought it at 104k mi, and now it's at 371k mi., and 27-yrs-old. I don't think the car has seen many single-digit temps, having been in Florida before me, and Georgia since 1995.

I can't pull the center support off. Since I don't have and can't find a 4-1/4" reach 2- or 3-jaw puller, I took the back shaft, which still has the center support on it, to my Indy repair guy. The first thing he noticed was the worn spots in the u-joint, and said I need a new one. His claim is you can't replace just the u-joint, and that was my initial conclusion also, although after searching here it looks like it could be done, and cheap, too. But no clips to remove - just press-fitted I guess. He therefore said I need a new shaft.

He's not trying to sell me a new shaft, because he knows I'll go elsewhere to buy it cheaper. And he knows I don't need him to install the shaft, since I obviously took it off myself. So, I know he's not fibbing about needing a new shaft. Maybe the shop's policy is to just replace the shaft.

·
Registered
1984 300D
5,269 Posts
Authausaz has the U-Joint. Their part number is 900 410 00 31 (it is a made in Japan GMB U-joint part number 220-7289). This is the one I bought and used at about $18.

Some of the U-joint part places list that you need 2 U-joints per car. That may not be so. Look at your Drive Shaft. My 84 300D had only 1 U-joint on the Drive Shaft.

This place also sells the U-joint made by GKN, enter Group- Driveshafts, Axles, Differentials, enter Keyword- U-joint and U-joint will appear in the upper left. Select it. You get GKN LOEBRO Part # 22-2537-031 at about $20 each.
Mercedes Benz Parts - Discount Mercedes Parts - Mercedes Auto Parts - Online Catalog - Free Shipping - RM European Auto Parts

This place carries the same GKN U-Joint as above and you can look it up by your make, year, and model.
Above All Motorwerks - Select Year-Select Make-Select Model - Above All Motorwerks
Driveshaft U-Joint (2 Needed Per Car)- 22 2537 031

I found another place that sells the GKN U-joint:
http://www.koperformance.com/

My U-joint Repair thread
Drive Shaft U-Joint Is Staked/Crimped In Place, Now What To Do? - PeachParts Mercedes ShopForum
This is page 3 of the thread and begins the actual repair
Drive Shaft U-Joint Is Staked/Crimped In Place, Now What To Do? - Page 3 - PeachParts Mercedes ShopForum

Can you replace the universal joints????? - PeachParts Mercedes ShopForum

Tightening Drive Shaft Collar Nut
How to replace the driveshaft support (carrier) bearing - A step by step guide - Page 3 - PeachParts Mercedes ShopForum

What I found when searching for the U-joint is that part numbers are important. I found the Part Number given by another member Leobro 728/4; I kept internet searching until that number cross referenced to the GKN 22 2537 031; I searched the Autohausaz with the GKN number and found out autohausaz sold the U-joint.
All though it was after I had already installed my U-joint I was able to use the GMB U-joint part number 220-7289 and look up a PDF that had the proper spacing of the Bearing Caps.

I was able to replace the U-joint without having to have the Drive Shaft Balanced. I have had the Car on the Freeway several time with no incident but mostly the Car drives short trips around town.
I have the car back in the drive way for some other work and hope to have time get under the Car to do an inspection of the U-joint and Flex Discs to see if there is any unseen issues.

·
Registered
85 300D
24 Posts
Don't mind me to jumping in...but I just copied all the above info...thanks ! I get better answers than on my Land Rover Forum....;)

·
Registered
1984 300D
5,269 Posts
Don't mind me to jumping in...but I just copied all the above info...thanks ! I get better answers than on my Land Rover Forum....;)
There is actually a kit made for some of the Fords with Staked U-joints; to remove the old U-joint.
It comes with something like a Hole Saw but with different teeth on it to cut out the Staked metal all at one time.

There was also info on replacing staked U-joints on Mazda and BMW Forums.

I have to say I spent an awful lot of time internet searching just to find a place to buy the U-joint.

·
Registered
'84 300DT, '97 S320
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
300Dman: thank you so very much for the research. As I said, I did a lot of searching too, and did see the autohausaz u-joint, and would really like to re-use the shaft, in order to keep as much original as possible.

"engatwork" mentioned Atlanta Drivetrain Services in one of your links, and so did my MB dealer parts guy. Problem is, I can't get them the shaft until Sat, and though they're open 8:30-noon on Sat, they can't guarantee it'll be done same-day, which I can understand. If I leave it with them, I can't get there until Apr 21, "next" Thursday. The MB parts guy can get me a shaft for $305 in just 1 day, 2-days max.

I don't need the car right away as we have another I can use, but I think my neighbors might get tired of the 300 on ramps/stands for 13-14 days. Fortunately, our subdivision has no covenant, rules, organization, etc., but the house across the street is for sale, and I'd hate to be the reason no one buys it, thinking that guy (me) always has a car jacked up, even if it is a Benz. So, I may just spring for the new shaft.

Thanks, everyone. - Dave H

·
Registered
1984 300D
5,269 Posts
I read over all those threads, and while it might be possible to replace your U-joint, I think for me, I will get a rebuilt driveshaft from these guys:

Driveline Service - Mercedes Driveshafts
"while it might be possible to replace your U-joint"
Well it has to be possible because myself and others have already done their own replacement of the U-joint.

However, if someone does not want to do it themselves that is OK.

Myself and the other people who have replaced their U-joints have supplied info so that others can have a choice.

My thoughts on rebuilding stuff is that if the Rebuilder can do it what prevents me from doing it. Unlike say a Fuel Injection Pump that needs a special Calibration Test Stand and Bosch Test Specs to do the job the U-joint replacement job is a rather direct job.

My other though is that I was only risking a lot of wasted time and an $18 U-joint if I screwed up the job I would be no worse off than when I started.
Even if I screwed up the knowledge that I would gain could be used on other things.

While replacing the U-joint the only thing I can think of is that it needs a better tool to Re-stake the U-joint.
And, it would be nice to have something better to remove the Staked area that would remove as little metal as possible to maintain as much balance as possible.

·
Registered
1984 300D
492 Posts
Mr. 300Dman. I for one appreciate your many technical and creative posts. By no means am I discouraging innovation, especially on your part. Keep it up. I was trying to point out what appears to be a good source for a rebuilt drive shaft for those of my persuasion that would prefer to not follow your lead in this instance. So, stake away sir and I'll pony up the extra coin to get a drive shaft that is balanced, has the drive shaft support bearing and boot already replaced, and has a new replaceable and greasable U-joint installed.

·
Registered
'84 300DT, '97 S320
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here's what I decided on doing.

1) Take Thursday off (key ingredient to getting shaft done by Sat).
2) Take front/rear driveshafts to fix-it place, with new support bracket and bearing, and rubber sleeve that goes onto the turnable large "nut" at back end of front shaft. They'll put on new u-joint. He agreed it was bad - usable, but going bad.
3) Was almost ready today, Will pick up Sat and start putting things back together.
4) Work on taxes some more.
5) Go to dentist to have them reglue temp crown that was just put on Moday, "after" dropping off shafts. It came off while eating breakfast...eggs, bacon, hash browns.
6) Take wife's laptop back to Best Buy to have them fix the recent installation of Kaspersky.. I took it in originally to remove the "Vista Security 2011" virus/malware that showed up last weekend.
7) Video ISS passing overhead first thing Thur morning.

·
Registered
1983 300D
1,248 Posts
Regarding the company koperformance dot com..

I had a bad experience with them in trying to return an item even though they screwed up on. Their return policy is unreasonable and make you go through a lot of crap and worst of all you can't get a hold of a live body.

Order from respected places like peachparts, autohausaz, rmeuropean, etc.

·
Registered
1984 300D
5,269 Posts
7/31/2014
Sometime over a Year ago I changed the Flex Discs as I saw the old ones which I think were originals were Cracking.

I have had no issues concerning the replacement of the U-joint.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts