Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2002 SLK32 AMG. Need new tires and I would like to move up to 18" wheels. I'd like to go with the same size tires all the way around so I can rotate. Not really looking for serious performance. I don't drive it a lot and really am mostly concerned with looks and comfort.

Would 225 45 18's work? It seems like most people would go to a 40 series but I like old school looks with a taller sidewall (in addition to the ride comfort).

I did go through about 50 past threads before I posted. I couldn't find the answer. One of the threads had a link (I think by Bazzle) that might have covered it but the link was dead. I have been to tirerack.com , 1010tires and such and I know they have calculators that will give me the size of any tire, but they don't say whether this size will fit.

These are the wheels I want. Haven't decided which color to go with.

2 CRAVE ALLOYS - No.14 - Wheels - 2 Crave Alloys No.14

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
If you delete all the directional tyres and tyres with a UTQG of under 300, your choice will be simpler

* you'll be able to have the bigger tyres on the back and still rotate left to right
* you'll have reasonable to v good tyre wear (320 to 600+UTQG )

Tirerack should be able to give you the 18" options for SLK?

Oberoi

·
Registered
372 Posts
Your looking at running 7.5" on the front and rear? That is going to make the rear tires sunk in from the fender a little bit more unless you plan on running wheel spacers also. I'm not sure if your going to notice a visual or ride difference with a 45, but yes, they will fit. However, your speedo will be off by 3.54%

You probably won't find threads on running odd sized tires here as 99% of people that change tires/wheels, stick with the recommended/OEM configuration or plus size with the equivalent sidewall to give the same diameter.

However, between these 2 calculators, all the info is there:
Tire Size Calculator - tire & wheel plus sizing
Wheel Offset Calculator

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Could I go with 18s if I went with the proper sized tire and staggered?

I just want to fill up the wheel area a little and I like the thinner spoke look.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
More help if you don't mind. I have now been looking at so many rims and reading posts that I think I have settled on wanting to only get AMG wheels and not go outside to a custom wheel so that I can maintain a MB look.

I know there are offsets and other things to consider and most older posts point to a couple of different sites so that I can plug in numbers to see what will fit, but can anybody here please just tell me the following if they already have the answer?

What 18" MB AMG wheels from other MB models will fit on my 2002 SLK32? I am mostly interested in 5 spoke but some of the double spokes will do. I like the thinner look.

I'm afraid that if I try to figure out all of the measurements myself that I may get it wrong and end up with wheels I can't use or return.

I know the selection is probably small and that is OK too. But I see posts of people that have taken AMG wheels from an E or C series (I think) and used them on their R170.

I really appreciate any and all help. My car is sitting in the driveway with a flat because I don't want to get new tires til I get this figured out.

Cheers and thanks!

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Hi

I run 18" Brabus Width 8.5 front 9.5 rear. Can't remember the offset, had them years. something says 35mm in the back of my mind.

Daz

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
something like this comes to mind! custom 3 piece avus wheels 18" 37 et front 30 et rear
The rims look good. But, that green color looks beautiful! That's the first time I have seen it on an SLK. I bought a Porsche Boxster a while back in silver. I couldn't find a deal on one in a similar green. The boxster looks great in that green with a tan interior. I had a nonmetallic Carmen Ghia convertible in British racing green with a tan top and interior... classic combo.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts