Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1995 E320 Sportline W124
790 Posts
Bad news indeed. It makes me shock for awhile, how could three-pointed star on our hood could be hampered with quality problems like that.

[V][V][:(!]

·
Registered
2002 430clk;2005 Yamaha YZF R1;08 Range Rover Sport
1,290 Posts
Interesting...I was thinking up upgrading my 2002 430clk to a CL500 or CL600 but now I am not so sure

·
Registered
1987 Mercedes 300e
400 Posts
well maybe they are talking about like the old 80's 300e/180e type cars.... cuz ... wow... ive never heard of the e class being unreliable... the people that i know that have them only have to do the regular tuneups like oil and such... peculiar...

·
1991 500SEC sub 50K mi. 1987 560SEC Now 150K mi. 2018
4,281 Posts
Some light reading might be in order:

GOOGLE
http://www.google.com/search?q='consumer+reports'+%2B+mercedes&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Consumer Reports
http://money.cnn.com/2004/11/08/pf/autos/cr_auto_reliability/

MBL

·
4,281 Posts
Hi Chris,

That http://www.sesh.com/ site is very good. Lots of info.

Last year, while getting my MB repaired, I was told "the W126 represented real MB quality" & newer models in general weren't as good.

Regards, MBL

·
Registered
05SLK350
151 Posts
Consumers Report: I believe very little ( about nothing) on what they say about cars and who they survey. I had a 2003 E320 best car I ever owned till the SLK350 came out. Lets remember Ralph Nader.

·
4,281 Posts
RE: survey hitting Mercedes-Benz's image & Balance

Hi redSLK1,

I wish we could forget Mr. Nader. His early work on automotive safety took much of the 'soul' out some really wonderful vehicles of the '60s. For example: the MGB sprouted giant rubber bumpers, E Type Jaguars lost the glass fairing over each headlamp, mechanically satisfying chrome toggle switches on the instrument panel morphed into plastic rockers.... wheels lost their knock offs... etc.

Sorry, I digress.. lost in the '60s..

For some balance to this thread, I refer to a the mbusa page below that follows the essence of MB best: LoveMercedes. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

http://www.mbusa.com/microsite/brand/index.jsp

[:)] MBL

·
Registered
2002 430clk;2005 Yamaha YZF R1;08 Range Rover Sport
1,290 Posts
I have to say on the web you can find anything bad about any manufacturer of any type of car. I just dont have these kinds of issues with my car, im a Mercedes loyalist so here I come cl600 or 65 (dreaming), plus you arent going to get looks in you toyota camry

·
Registered
2004 Lexus LS 430 Modern Luxury. 2012 Acura TSX (fun fun) Maybe MB again one day...
2,604 Posts
Wonder how much it would help MB if their dealers actually gave two cents about their customers? Or fixed the problem(s) right the first time?

·
Registered
05SLK350
151 Posts
RE: survey hitting Mercedes-Benz's image & Balance

Hi: You miss read me on the Ralph Nader comment. If you are old enough you might remember the early WWII song "Lets Remember Pearl Harbor" The "Lets Remember Ralph Nador" Was that take off. It went on " as we did the Alamo". Get the point?

·
Registered
300E
100 Posts
When did Mercedes become the average man's car? If you don't have the cash, there's a nice new Honda Civic EX at the dealer for $14,000 OTD. If you want a real car, pay the damn price. I never understood this shit. Everyone wants to puff up their chest and keep up with the Joneses by buying Mercedes, then they complain when their 2004 model with DVD navigation and ESP, ABC, etc. isn't as simple to operate as their 1986 Camry. And I don't buy that the S-class is low in the reliability ratings. There is just no way you can fuck up making a $120,000 car.

Full body paint job with prep work for your Mercedes, BMW, Audi, or Porsche at German Auto Body in Santa Clara, CA: Over $7,000

Full body paint job for your Mazda Miata at Maaco: $699

·
Registered
A200 Turbo-C230K-S320 CDI-SL55-C63AMG
346 Posts
All surveys are different. Mercedes was recently voted one of the most reliable cars in a UK survey.

·
Registered
2003 SLK 320
684 Posts
I think it's all just a scam to try to get people to buy more japanese and american cars. I love my SLK and have never had any problems with it. Plus...who's taking these surveys? I've never been asked to take one.....and I'd love to raise MB's rating that tiny bit. My family has owned lots of cars, and the only ones with any somewhat major problems have been American cars. The japanese cars are reliable, but it stops right about there. They have limited features (except for my monty's lockers[:D]), no power, and less-than-exceptional looks. And American cars are ugly as fugg. I love my mercedes and these surveys arent going to stop me from buying and E500 next year.

·
Registered
S-500
56 Posts
I've never had a problem with any Mercedes in my life. My parents have never had a problem in which they couldn't take it to the dealer and they'd fix ir right away. I do understand that the older models were better quality but still no problems as of yet. No one can ruin the name of Mercedes, end of story!

·
Registered
2004 Lexus LS 430 Modern Luxury. 2012 Acura TSX (fun fun) Maybe MB again one day...
2,604 Posts
itzezbeinme - 3/28/2005 3:25 PM

No one can ruin the name of Mercedes, end of story!
Except Mercedes: harmanic balancers, cracking dashes, failing window regulators, failing computers, failing transmissions, degrading wiring harnesses, well known head gasket failures.....

They have had quality problems for some time now (plus snotty service). Also "the other guys" have not only caught up, but are building more reliable cars coupled with better customer service.

·
Registered
'90 560SEL
2,553 Posts
Anyone looked into production figures on a year by year basis? My feeling is that the Toyota (as one example) are able to many times produce greater volume over comparable Merc. models - thus their investment in "design standards and testing" - for want of better words gives greater return, efficiency, and co-consequential - customer satisfaction. I'm suggesting that their scale of production lends more naturally to quick problem solving. As a plus, they can badge their best as a Lexus. Anyone?

·
Registered
'82 380SL+'02 ML320
188 Posts
Toyota produce great quality for many reasons, not least of which is their lean manufacturing system that puts incredible pressure on suppliers to perform from quality, price, and logistics standpoints. In return, they get to sell a billion of each part, assembly, etc.

As a 163 owner, I can tell you nearly every problem I have had (and it is a bunch) has related to a defective part or assembly.

When Porsche created the Boxter, they worked closely with Toyota for manufacturing. Hyundai went from crap quality to incredible in a few short years. The good ones all do it the same.

At the end of the day, great design counts for a lot, but what the individual customer puts on the road is all that really counts. Comments from teenage boys (old and young) about what they read in car magazines and see on internet boards doesn't mean shit. SLR's and CLS's and new SL's are fantasy land for middle aged farts like me.

I am truly to the point where I need to dump my ML, keep the SL, and jaunt around in a sporty Acura. I can't believe I said that.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts