Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
99 C230K Post Facelift
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have looked all over the internet for how tos and tips on porting an Eaton supercharger and have come up pretty empty. Most hits are not relevant as they are for the bigger blowers on domestic V8s. I have read all about subby's build, but it comes up a little short on the intake side.
How much is too much on the inlet?
Are there any effects on rotor timing like on the outlet?
WTF is with this diffuser looking thing in the intake elbow? Will removing it have any detrimental effects? My first instinct is to grind that thing right out. Any other gains to be had in porting the inlet and outlet adapters? I could remove and tig up the resonator built into the outlet, but I don't see how that would make any difference.

My overall plans are to port the supercharger now while I have it disassembled for a complete rebuild. Later I will be doing the maf relocation, then pulleys, muffler, intake when I have some extra cash.
Hopefully this forum is a little more helpful on the performance info. The 202 guys weren't.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

·
1998 SLK 230
2,812 Posts
theres heaps of info out there... but the basic purpose is to get the rotor timing spot on. this is done by modifying both inlet and outlet ports. you can grind out the intake a bit but not much can be done there, the outlet there is heaps to do... reason why the v8's and other cars see massive gains on the intake side is because their motors have the throttle body BEFORE the supercharger... we have the throttle body AFTER

the diffuser type thing in the intake pipe i grined and chopped it out... it helped significantly under WOT and higher RPM. the resonator wont do anything for peformance its only to tune out certain noise the s/c makes.

this a m62 or m45 unit?

·
Registered
99 C230K Post Facelift
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Clutched M62 as far as I can tell. Eaton website says that's what is in the W202 in 99. I see there's not much to do on the intake side. Probably flatten out the humps at the bolts and bearings. Smooth out the sides. Just didn't know how far I can take the inlet without messing up timing. Outlet us pretty straight forward really. For some reason yours looked like there it's more volume and more area to remove.
I'm seriously considering having a friend tig up the holes to try to get a little extra boost out of it without pulleys.

·
1998 SLK 230
2,812 Posts
thats exactly what i did... not sure if i can find pics... smoothed out/ the top and bottoms (grinded down where the bearings go flat) and smoothed out the inner lip where it transitions to the inside of the case.

welding up the holes will gain a little more boost but the s/c is frikken LOUD... mines loud as it is... going louder is just too much - even for me

·
Registered
99 C230K Post Facelift
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
welding up the holes will gain a little more boost but the s/c is frikken LOUD... mines loud as it is... going louder is just too much - even for me
What do you consider loud? I have a pretty nice sound system. Do you have any drive by or in car videos?

·
1998 SLK 230
2,812 Posts
yes i do... belive me especially on the track you can hear me comming fair distance away.....

this video was with NO PORTING just intake

this is another clip of the ported unit

mind you the camera phone microphone starts to distort.... its LOUD... and you cant rev past 4,000rpm in N and P.... its a lot louder top end 5000rpm (engine rpm)+

·
1998 SLK 230
2,812 Posts
leaving pit lane

and another

·
Registered
2002 C230 Sport Coup and 2006 ML350
1,128 Posts
So, Subby, I've yet to see a dyno...
got one? Any idea about the HP you're putting out?
0-60 mph? 1/4 mile?

Rotor timing?
WTF?

·
Registered
99 C230K Post Facelift
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'd like to know as well. 240 is pretty impressive. Is that WHP? I've been doing a ton of reading and searching for pictures of ported Eatons before I grind on my case. Think I have a good idea of what it will look like. Can't seem to post a pic from my phone.
After I rebuild and port, I will likely have a local shop turn down my clutch pulley, as I'm sure it will be cheaper than an ASP. I can wait to find one used or at a cheaper price.

·
1998 SLK 230
2,812 Posts
dyno i dont have one but i have logged 0-100km/h (0-62mph) using "dynolicious" a fairly accurate iphone app. and its quite accurate for my friends cars too similar to the g-tech pro unit... 0-60mph times you usually minus 0.2sec

i get 0-100 (with NO rollout set) 5.4s (best) with 5.6s prob avg. its difficult to launch without a lot of wheelspin, i have to drop the rear tires psi down from 36psi to 25psi to minimise spin... ive learnt not to bother shifting gears manually as you hit the rev limiter easily as it revs so so quick.. drop it in 4, brake launch / stall up to 1000-1100rpm and then nail it!

ive stayed side by side with a 2005 SL500 before no dramas. he couldnt pull away

·
1998 SLK 230
2,812 Posts
for maximum porting benifit the rotors have to be timed to the port casing correctly, so when the intake side opens the exit port is fully sealed otherwise you will leak boost. you just cant go cutting stuff up without making sure its done right otherwise you will make it worse than stock

·
Registered
Australia, 99SLK230 R170, 2001SLK32
1,379 Posts
Also - possibly a thread hyjack...
What's different about the SLK32 v the SLk230 as far as power to the ground goes.
Given the SLK32 has significantly more power to weight and I can only imagine that it puts power to the ground well....so why not the overdriven and ported SC on an SLK230 - especially with your advan tyres etc....
Would still be marginally less power to weight than an SLK32....
Why is it so....?
Is it how quickly the power comes on?....I'd imagine a 4cyl would come on a little quicker than a 6, less resistance/inertia to move etc....

·
1998 SLK 230
2,812 Posts
100% agree...

the middle one is SPOT ON... the last one is done incorrectly and that blower actually LOST power as the rotors couldn’t seal the outlet properly on the intake stroke and boost was lost made the unit less efficient than stock!

the V you make as large as possible while making the rotor still in line with the V in the case. as you can see the rotor is in parallel to the V. this is correct...

the last one was ported by a pro and im shocked it was done that way... totally wrong

Attachments

·
Registered
2001 SLK 230 - 6 on the floor
74 Posts
Yes, it is.

Stock outlet

Properly ported outlet (not M62) The V is much wider. Pretty much the maximum angle it can be taken. This blower made over 450HP on a Honda 4 cylinder.

This is totally wrong.
:thumbsup:That's a seriously good explaination and pictures - thank you

·
Registered
2001 SLK 230 - 6 on the floor
74 Posts
yes i do... belive me especially on the track you can hear me comming fair distance away.....

this video was with NO PORTING just intake

SLK intake & exhaust - YouTube

this is another clip of the ported unit

ported mercedes eaton m62 - YouTube

mind you the camera phone microphone starts to distort.... its LOUD... and you cant rev past 4,000rpm in N and P.... its a lot louder top end 5000rpm (engine rpm)+
Sheesh is that an M62 or M45 - that sounds way too loud/awfull!!!

I was going to remove the resonator silencer but that has put me off a bit - would it be that loud with a std airbox assembly

·
1998 SLK 230
2,812 Posts
thats not really a good vid as its different under "load"

·
Registered
99 C230K Post Facelift
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I think it sounds sick. I love the sound of a blower. We don't have a clip of an open stock blower to compare to his video. The noise in the driving video is due mostly to his intake. There are YouTube clips of other Eaton cars (Jaguars) that sound as loud. Also seen clips of other M111s with intake that sound similar. Mercedes went to great lengths to quiet it down.

·
1998 SLK 230
2,812 Posts
yes they went overkill to muffle the sound... thats one of the reasons they got rid of the superchargers in the MB range. customers would complain about noise and electromagnetic clutch engagement (the chirp) in say the E55 AMG even though its "normal". all the new forced induction cars in the MB range are now turbo

1 - 20 of 114 Posts