Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
02 e430 hard start replaced fuel pump ,filter,cps,plugs,wires,and still hard start. if crank over 6 or 7 times then starts ,need help

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
Just curious: Did you perform any diagnostics before replacing all those parts? The next thing I would do is read the codes. Even if you have no trouble lights on the instrument cluster there might be some codes stored.

·
Registered
99 E430, 01 E430 Sport, 00 SL500
3,266 Posts
Try starting the car by jump starting to rule out the battery.

·
Premium Member
17,193 Posts
It would probably help if the OP would give us a little better description. Do you mean you turn the key and it cranks but does not start, then you turn the key off and on again 6-7 times before it finally starts?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
e430 prob

yes ,it cranks over,but won't fire ,and no codes.Is their a pressure regulator in line of fuel filter? thanks for any help. oh BTW replaced battery few months ago. I put pressure tester on fuel rail , and turn key off and on just to hear fuel pump ,after 6 or 7 th time it has 40 to 50 psi, then starts ok,the problem is not enough fuel pressure at fuel rail.

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
7,758 Posts
yes ,it cranks over,but won't fire ,and no codes.Is their a pressure regulator in line of fuel filter? thanks for any help. oh BTW replaced battery few months ago. I put pressure tester on fuel rail , and turn key off and on just to hear fuel pump ,after 6 or 7 th time it has 40 to 50 psi, then starts ok,the problem is not enough fuel pressure at fuel rail.
After you turn of the engine how fast fuel pressure drops? It needs to remain at >2.5 bar after 30 minutes.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
17,193 Posts
If I remember correctly the fuel pressure regulator is inside the fuel filter. Do you think your filter might be defective? And did you buy the new parts from a reputable source?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
that link is great thanks alot! fuel filter was bought at auto zone,this would be number 3 in last 3 months.the fuel pump i got on ebay,new ,the car was great untill it turned 100k,

·
Premium Member
17,193 Posts
Thanks for answering my question but I don't understand why you have been through 3 filters unless they are selling you the wrong ones.

·
Premium Member
17,193 Posts
I looked up your car on the Auto Zone website and the 2 they sell look generic to me, not that it is always a bad thing. You can buy OEM fuel filters (Hengst, Mann, Bosch) for the same money from a place like autohausaz.com and probably get a much better product.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
e430 prob

why 3 ? well once i changed it seems like ok , then after awhile hard starting. i'll try a bosch , did'nt think it was issue.thanks again. how about fuel pump , any special one?

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
7,758 Posts
why 3 ? well once i changed it seems like ok , then after awhile hard starting. i'll try a bosch , did'nt think it was issue.thanks again. how about fuel pump , any special one?
Are you looking for resolution of the problem or more ammo for your parts gun?

·
Premium Member
17,193 Posts
In case you didn't understand the previous comment, you are throwing parts at the car without knowing what the underlying issue(s) are. Fuel delivery and spark are certainly both necessary for the car to run. BUT, surely all of those parts you replaced were not necessary. I wish you the best of luck and btw, Witek M is one of the best diagnosticians we have on this forum so please follow his advice.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ok,the parts did need replacing,100k miles tune up,problem started after fuel pump change,i'm diy guy,but i'll take to shop thanks.

·
Registered
2000 E430 Sport Sedan
387 Posts
If it started after the fuel pump change, I would guess you got a bad pump. If you kept the old one I would swap it back. Know it's a pain but may be the issue. If you bought it on ebay you may have bought a Chinese copy.

·
Registered
2001 SLK 320(217K Miles), 2002 E320 Special Edition(183K Miles)
3,467 Posts
Of course, you did check that you connected the pipes the right way around on the fuel filter??
The filter has a specific inlet and outlet. Connecting it the wrong way around, causes the filter internals to collapse and block the fuel flow. It will initially work fine for sometime until the pressure causes the internals to collapse.

Edit -- reading your posts again, I think this may be a very likely cause for going through 3 filters. Even the cheapest filters will last longer, even if they don't filter very good.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts