Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
While colour is important it has to come a little below the top two or three reasons for buying. Most important of all is rust. Lower mileage is nice but by no means vital as if maintenance records are available a higher mileage choice can make an awful lot of sense. When I started looking for a 107 my colour choice was that pale ice blue with dark blue upholstery and I actually found a couple which for various reasons were rejected. I ended up with gold, two tone custom upholstery and a dark brown convertible top (Although I never use the hard top I later had it repainted a dark metallic brown and it looks superb). The car is an eye catcher - not just my opinion - and has actually surpassed the ice blue in my estimation. I think if everything else makes sense most colours become something one can not only live with but actually come to prefer.
I've been rejecting cars from snowy/icy parts of the country because of the rust issue. Thankfully there are plenty from the southwest and California where I am. :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ivory was extremely popular in the 1980's when I purchased, well ordered, my 1983 380SL.
It was Ivory with dark brown interior.
Back then I didn't care for red, black, or blue - my preference then was Ivory or a metallic like green.
There were a lot of light Ivory Mercedes running around.
BUT today, I prefer Signal Red or Black. Still don't care for Blue, White, or Silver.
I have a Signal Red 560SL and a Light Ivory 380SL -- the Signal Red is certainly a more showy car.

Hello all, please be patient with me, as I am just curious about Classics, but don't have knowledge. My question is:

What would it take to paint the car in your favorite color? I guess original color has bonus points, but next that wouldn't be repaint in your preferred color?

Curious_'bout_Life

·
Registered
1987 560 SL, 1990 300E 4Matic
472 Posts
Only if it really needed to painted to begin with, I think. A decent paint job would cost about $5,000-$6,000 U.S. dollars. A very good one would cost more.

·
Outstanding Contributor
450slc5.0cab 280sl5sp 280se4.5 500seAMG +250seStkW108 350sl4spdX3 500secEuro
22,227 Posts
@1992-500SL ‘s post above really needs to be moderated out, and he/she needs a spanking for shamelessly trying to sell the wrong body style car in this thread requesting advice.

@AnonImmety
Please state your requirements, and I bet you people on this forum will help you find good examples. Shopping should be fun. You should drive as many examples as you can, and I might encourage you to also state whether it’s the r107 body style you like, or the 560sl specifically. Does the more powerful 500sl also appeal to you? Or do you want to avoid “gray market” examples? Do you want only 1986+ examples?

At your price range, you should be able to get nearly anything you want, and the maintenance won’t end the day you buy it. I like the idea of knowing that after thousands and thousands are spent on maintenance, that you might have something worth something, maybe at least more than the cost of the maintenance. So I’d probably avoid most US 380sl cars because they are the runts of the litter as far as power goes, probably most of the later US 450sl cars too. But I think the 500sl might be top of my list along with the stick shift cars. All my favorites are euro only gray market cars, something a little “special”.

And for $30,000, I’d sell any one of the cars I’ve got.

And at $30,000, I’d expect you’d have had the timing chain service done, which wasn’t mentioned above as far as I can see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1989 560SL & 1987 560SL
458 Posts
You mention the owner's expenses and repair records, but It sounds like you are buying a car from a classic car dealer/broker, which is not typically the most cost effective source for these cars.

Don't buy the first one. Look around.. There are plenty of 560sl cars around, especially in California... You also might want to look for an 88 or 89 if you have a 25-30k budget.

What are the $19,000 in repairs? That is a big budget. What kind of major repairs were documented?

As others have mentioned, low miles on the odometer does not free you from parts replacement and repairs, and some higher mile cars may have been more actively maintained over their lifespan. If you are not it a hurry I would look around some more. . You can probably find a nice car in a color you like for well below 25-30k... and put some money aside as a repair/maintenance contingency.

·
Registered
1986 560SL
49 Posts
As others have mentioned, low miles on the odometer does not free you from parts replacement and repairs, and some higher mile cars may have been more actively maintained over their lifespan.
A lot of truth there. My daily-driver Audi has over 225K miles, but 90% of that cruising in top gear on a 45 mile drive to work. The engine oil is always darker than when first filled, but still clear at 10K oil changes. On the other hand, the '86 560SL which I bought during the Summer has oil that smells like fuel, no doubt from being started every so often to move in and out of the seller's garage.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Not sure if this will be read, or if anyone cares, but I thought I'd update it. Pending inspection, I'll be the owner of a glorious green '88 soon.

Now I just need to learn all the tricks about finding parts and not getting ripped off. :D

·
Premium Member
1987 560SL
2,342 Posts
Not sure if this will be read, or if anyone cares, but I thought I'd update it. Pending inspection, I'll be the owner of a glorious green '88 soon. Now I just need to learn all the tricks about finding parts and not getting ripped off. :D
Rest assured many read and care. 88 is a good year. For parts download a copy of the EPC or buy it for under $20 on ebay, the electronic parts catalog number is typically so specific it will lead you to all the sources. If you have not yet scanned the EGV107 sticky thread at the top of this forum please do that or use the advanced search button (three button stoplight at top right header) before asking how to do something.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Rest assured many read and care. 88 is a good year. For parts download a copy of the EPC or buy it for under $20 on ebay, the electronic parts catalog number is typically so specific it will lead you to all the sources. If you have not yet scanned the EGV107 sticky thread at the top of this forum please do that or use the advanced search button (three button stoplight at top right header) before asking how to do something.
Will do, thanks!

·
Registered
1987 560 SL, 1990 300E 4Matic
472 Posts
Not sure if this will be read, or if anyone cares, but I thought I'd update it. Pending inspection, I'll be the owner of a glorious green '88 soon.
Is it the same car previously posted by you? If so, just be prepared to receive many "thumbs up" while driving, and complements while parked. I hope your PPI goes well. Keep us updated.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Is it the same car previously posted by you? If so, just be prepared to receive many "thumbs up" while driving, and complements while parked. I hope your PPI goes well. Keep us updated.
Yeah, the green one. Inspection this week. Fingers crossed. Thanks!

21 - 35 of 35 Posts